cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator grew legs and need new, what is your choice?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
My mid 1990's Honda generator grew legs from my carport. Only 3rd time since 1977 we've had any problems. Nothing changed in neighborhood, except one guy that has moved in with his sister while he's "looking for a job".

With the choices now, what would you replace with? I've always had good luck with Honda but noticed that Yamaha and Ryobi and several others on the market now.

Last trip out used brother in-laws Honda generators. No problem with one keeping battery charged up, running it couple hours a day. But couldn't run micro or a/c. Don't know the size, they were red, not sure if 1000 or 2000?

Anyways does Honda still own the generator market for RV's? If not what's best choice?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
42 REPLIES 42

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
I don't even know what model. It was prior to the little red ones. A 2500 watt. Weighed about 70 pounds and about twice the size the red ones. The new ones are a big improvement. It was also louder than the news ones.

The only service it ever had was a new carb after the new gas came out and gummed up the works.

For what it's worth, we have a late 1980's non-inverter red color Honda generator that still runs great and is as quiet as the much newer model Honda inverter generators. We carry it along all the time in our RV for battery charging instead of using the built-in generator when not on hookups. I replaced a switch on the little red Honda once, years ago.

By the way ... what Honda generators were painted yellow? I've never seen one that color.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Grodyman wrote:
Just curious why the Champion 3100 inverter generator gets rave reviews but the Honda Handi, which the Champion is modeled after, does not. Is it strictly price?

Gman

Maybe this is why.

As posted by otrfun on 5/18/15 posting, titled
" Champion 75531i 3100w Inverter/Generator Initial Review "

QUOTE:

Well, I'm one of those unique situations. I purchased a pair of new EU2000i's last year. Wouldn't start my Dometic 13,500 BTU a/c with the Eco mode on. I was disappointed. Installed a hard-start kit with the external relay---still no go with the Eco mode on. Just couldn't see spending $1900 and having to run 'em with the Eco mode off just to run my a/c.

I had a Champion 75531i that would start this same a/c unit with the Eco mode on. A local Honda dealer also let me try out an EU3000iS for a few hours to see how it compared to the paralleled EU2000i's.

Long story short, I compiled a whole mess of inrush data on all 3 generators with the Eco mode on and off. Without boring everybody with the numbers, the Champion 75531i is the king of inrush. A pair of EU2000i's a solid 2nd. The EU3000iS a distant 3rd. Surprisingly, one EU2000i with the Eco mode off can produce as much, sometimes slightly more, inrush current than an EU3000iS with the Eco mode on.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Typically, 'generator polls' tend to get amped-up!!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
(sorry)

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't even know what model. It was prior to the little red ones. A 2500 watt. Weighed about 70 pounds and about twice the size the red ones. The new ones are a big improvement. It was also louder than the news ones.

The only service it ever had was a new carb after the new gas came out and gummed up the works.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
path1 wrote:
My mid 1990's Honda generator grew legs from my carport.

Just curious .... what model Honda from the mid 1990's was it?

It was prior to the little red ones. 2500 watt. weighed about 70 pounds and about twice the size the red ones. The news ones are a big improvement. It was also louder than the news ones.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Sell the Handi for what the Champion goes for and it will get rave reviews too. Otherwise considering the EU3000 goes for less than the Handi and is quieter, I'd be pretty disappointed after spending that kind of cash.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
My mid 1990's Honda generator grew legs from my carport.

Just curious .... what model Honda from the mid 1990's was it?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grodyman wrote:
Just curious why the Champion 3100 inverter generator gets rave reviews but the Honda Handi, which the Champion is modeled after, does not. Is it strictly price?
Of course it is.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

shane772
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Sportsman 4000 LP powered from Home Depot. Love the fact it's fueled by propane and I don't have to carry gas.

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

MrWizard
Hey I have one of those Chihuahua alarm systems, works over time for kibble, but goes dead to the world, once he snuggles into the foot of our bed.
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an 11 year old Honda EU2000 that has served me well. Got a deal on it through a local Honda dealer at the time. If I were buying new, I would have no problem with a Champion either. They get good reviews and seem to have good support. Buy what fits your budget.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Set the next one on a piece of wood and connect a fence charger to it. A scream is a dead giveaway.

I like this idea. Can you wire one to 220? :B

It's a great idea, but in our current politically correct litigious society I'd be very worried about becoming the real victim in the court system.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Marking - record your S/N's when you buy it. When we had some stuff stolen police said we could come down and look or if you see it in a pawn shop the S/N will make it yours again. You also can do unique identifying marks, something you can positively identify.

We bought our 2000i last year, if I were to do it again I would go 3000+ but stay with Honda. Soooo quite.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars