cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Info

Racer18
Explorer
Explorer
What is the quietest 3000 generator on the market and the best for the dollar? Looking to parallel 2 of them together.
40 REPLIES 40

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Q
Two 2000W Inverters in parallel implies 4000W combined. The 73500i manual says maximum of 25 amps, which is 3,000W at 120 volts. Why does it not provide 30 amps as the 30 amp receptacle implies?
Asked by Sparky1 2 years ago

Add your answer

Open Reply - Champion Tech
Each generator can sustain 14.16A by itself which is 1,700 watts. Combined, the generators can sustain 28.32A or 3,398 watts. There is no circuit breaker on the parallel kit to limit this output to 25A. Our earlier 2,000 watt inverters had a rating of 1,600 watts and I believe they simply rounded the number for simplification. Since you can also parallel a 1,600 and a 1,700 running watt inverter generator, I believe this further complicated this and it was left alone. The parallel kit will support the full combined wattage of two inverter generators. There is no wattage loss when running in parallel. Sorry for any confusion

Note they advertise the 2000w as 1600 running. You can't parallel the older one with a new one because the kit won't fit.

They claim the two in parallel will run a 15K RV air conditioner ok.

That business with the 30a receptacle seems weird to me. A Honda 3000 is rated at 2800VA at 23.3a. But it has a circuit breaker.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
Has anyone run 2 of the 2000 was Champions in parallel and can confirm it will run a single 15k AC without issue? $399ea at home depot seems like a great deal. Buy 2 and get 3200 running watts and only 45lbs each?? Seems like a better option than a single 3400 watt 95lb beast. Thoughts?

My 2 Riobys would run 2 13.5K High efficiency. They would run a normal 15K and an Atwood 13.5K as long as they did not start at the same time. They would run a MH with a 15K with absolutelly no rpoblems. I don't a reason why the two champion would have an issue.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
My parallel Champion 2000's run my 15k AC without any problem.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone run 2 of the 2000 was Champions in parallel and can confirm it will run a single 15k AC without issue? $399ea at home depot seems like a great deal. Buy 2 and get 3200 running watts and only 45lbs each?? Seems like a better option than a single 3400 watt 95lb beast. Thoughts?

map40
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
30 to 50 adapter feeds both legs but only 3600 watts is available assuming zero voltage sag from 120 volts.

I'm pretty sure my autoformer would get a *real* workout running two roof air units from a 30 amp shore power supply.

If you must do this--then at least monitor the voltage. When it sags below 107 it is time to reduce the load--or add an autoformer, or both.

Agreed!!!
Donโ€™t get me wrong, the fact that I tested it and maybe did it while monitoring it does not mean that is a good idea...
Alfa SeeYa

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Honda 3000 was 126.8v no load and with a load of 1910VA (by Kill-a-watt) that dropped to 122.7v

Don't know what one a/c draws but I could run one 15 size in the 5er on a 15a circuit with power management operation.

When the a/c cycles what happens? What if they both cycled at the same time? One end of the RV would have a different climate than the other, so would they operate randomly and only cycle at once as a fluke? What happens if they both do it?

That 1910VA was with a 100a charger. There is controversy whether it should have a 20a or a 15a plug, depending on how it is used. ISTR there is a rule about "continuous" vs "temporary" and the charger is portable but can be a converter (installed) too, but not always on. What do they call an RV air conditioner for that code application?

As to the whole 1800 and 3600 deal, you have that 80% margin requirement for circuit breakers, etc. Is that how the 100 amper can run on a 15a circuit pulling 1910VA?

Is two air conditioner operation on a 30a the same thing for getting above 80%?

What if the no load of a gen is 120v instead of 126v? Likely to get so low as to hurt the air conditioner (which can't take low voltage like a converter can and survive ok)

Perhaps there needs to be more definition of which exact gens at which no load voltages you can "get away with it" and which ones you can't. From the info seen so far, it doesn't look like a good idea to generalize that they can all do it. Also one same watt rated gen may drop more from the same no load under the same load, depending on the specs of the gen--engine size or whatever.
Photo in Profile

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
30 to 50 adapter feeds both legs but only 3600 watts is available assuming zero voltage sag from 120 volts.

I'm pretty sure my autoformer would get a *real* workout running two roof air units from a 30 amp shore power supply.

If you must do this--then at least monitor the voltage. When it sags below 107 it is time to reduce the load--or add an autoformer, or both.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
Somebody said if you use a 30-50 you only get one leg of the 50
That would make sense.

The 30 to 50 adapter I have feeds the 30 to both legs of the 50. On 30 amps you can still run 2 acs but nothing else. With this setup, we were pushing the connections slightly beyond capacity, but we were monitoring it closely. We always had 1 or 2 people looking around asking question.
Alfa SeeYa

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
Somebody said if you use a 30-50 you only get one leg of the 50
That would make sense.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somebody said if you use a 30-50 you only get one leg of the 50 and that isn't enough to run two air conditioners. Or else I read that wrong or it is wrong info.

(The above states two air conditioners running from the 30-50 and a TT was also plugged in to another 30, but it does not say if that TT had its air conditioner on.)
Photo in Profile

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
map40 wrote:
As a matter of fact, once for a Relay for Life event we had 3 RVs (1 A and 2 Cs) and 4 Inverter generators. We bridged them ALL and connected the RVs to them (Gen 1 - C - Gen 2 - A - Gen 3 - C - Gen 4). We were able to shut down one at a time, refuel, let it rest and restart and move to the next without a glitch.
Of course, we had to make our own parallel adapters, which took all but 30 minutes.
Very cool! Yeah, making your own parallel "Kit" is real easy, and cheap.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I have connected any of the following in any configuration:
2 3500 Predator
1 2200 Predator
2 2200 Roybi
3 different regular inverters

They all get in sync when you connect them. Even when running under load. I could start both ACs in my 36 feet class A with a 3500 and a 2200 and then move the 2200 out for a few minutes, bring another one and connect it later, and the load would automatically balance between the two units, according to capacity. Don't ask me how, I don't know.
As a matter of fact, once for a Relay for Life event we had 3 RVs (1 A and 2 Cs) and 4 Inverter generators. We bridged them ALL and connected the RVs to them (Gen 1 - C - Gen 2 - A - Gen 3 - C - Gen 4). We were able to shut down one at a time, refuel, let it rest and restart and move to the next without a glitch.
Of course, we had to make our own parallel adapters, which took all but 30 minutes.
Alfa SeeYa

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
map40 wrote:
Warranty is $130 for 2 years. They tell you in the store just to bring it in before it expires. I did it, 2 times, 2 generators each, no questions asked. Just empty the gas tank.
Wow. I would think too many people doing that would put a serious dent in their bottom line.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
How did you connect your 50a shore cord? Confusing earlier posts about receptacles, etc. What exact receptacles are in the Predator's parallel kit?
From my research I see only a 30a socket.

30 to 50 adapter. If you run only 2 ACs you are good. If you have a 42 feet with 3 ACs it won't work...
Alfa SeeYa