Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

generator quit while driving

Bgreenberg123
Explorer
Explorer
Any advice please???
Our genny quit while driving down the road. Fuel supply show nearly full. We were driving down the road and it was working until it stopped. Thought it might be overload with AC running so turned off fridge and rear ac unit. Ran for a while and then quit again. Restarted one more time and ran for a few minutes and then quit for good. Any ideas? Thanks
Bruce
2007 Endeavor by Holiday Rambler
8 REPLIES 8

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a website with generalized troubleshooting lists of generators with diesel prime movers? When I had a Yamaha 5500 diesel genset I sprang for the factory service manual. Proved invaluable.Can't imagine a motorhome owner with a genset aboard who figures its a Good Thing to forget about buying a factory service manual. If you don't use it, your mechanic will.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I would also check the OIL AUTO-MATIC CUT-OFF... Could be a tad low on oil and the movement associated with driving trips the OIL sensor monitor...

X2 on the oil level. Thought mine was OK on the dipstick. I was told that I needed to keep the level higher and have never had a problem with it shutting down again. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
When mine did that I had developed a very small coolant leak and it was low enough that after awhile the gen would shut down due to overheating.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would also check the OIL AUTO-MATIC CUT-OFF... Could be a tad low on oil and the movement associated with driving trips the OIL sensor monitor...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Mine did that about 4 years ago. It turned out that the circuit-board had a crack or short. The board was replaced.

It might be a dirty contact on the wire connections to the board. Clean the connections. While driving the generator gets bounced around more than when parked at a campground.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on fuel filter.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with diesels, on a gas generator the first thing I would do is check/replace the fuel filter.

ronfisherman
Moved from Class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD