cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator trouble

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
Dry camping at a music festival and it is hot 104 yesterday 94 today. 6500 watt generac generator in a 2010 50 amp class A with a Intellitec 50 AMP Smart Energy Management System Model 800.

I started the generator and it was showing on the EMS display Generator which means it has two legs of 30 amp service. I wait for a while and turn on front air, wait a bit and turn on rear air.

Every thing seems to be working fine for 45 minutes and we leave to get our wrist bands and come back in about an hour and the rear air is off and I look at the EMS display and it is showing 30 amps not generator and 17 amps in use.

I tried cycling the circuit breakers on the generator and still can not get back to having 2 legs of 30 amps. Could it be the heat? It takes both AC's to cool our rig when it gets this hot.

Thanks for any helpful ideas!
Bill & Diana & Suzie the super dog lab
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310
Work'in to retire and really RV
5 REPLIES 5

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue,
I agree that the EMS might be just doing it's job.
I made sue that the refrigerator was on gas and minimal other 120 volt items on, but I did forget to turn my Inverter/Charger to standby and let my solar do the charging.

I will be doing the same run times today and will make sure only the AC are on and time how long both AC's will run.
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Your energy management system may just be doing its job correctly. With high temperatures come higher running watts for the air conditioners as well as lower outputs for generators. With the refrigerator on electric and other loads as well, the energy management system may have sensed an overload and reduced loads.

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
Original Poster here,
Thanks Mex and Wizard,
We left just the front AC on and went to the shows gone about 5 hours and temps had cooled to high 60's outside upon return coach was at 70 and I checked the EMS and it showed back to generator.

This leads me to think it is a heat issue or loose wire maybe.

Everything else will run as long as I don't exceed the 30 amps and with the AC units running at 17 to 18 amps each I see why I can't run them both when the EMS drops from generator to 30 amp.
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310

MrWizard
maybe
you need access at the transfer switch
and you need to check each hot leg to neutral with a meter set on ac voltage
and you need to do this 'CAREFULLY'

i suggest you find somebody that knows about electricity and wiring
you have open the TS cover with power off, no generator
the run the genny to to do the testing
this will tell you if its the genny, or maybe the EMS
or a loose wire someplace

you might have to call for mobile tech service
or turn off the non-functioning circuit and live with one a/c
closing off the back of the RV ?

is any thing else NOT working ?
maybe something in the A/C caused the problem and the EMS has shut down that power leg to protect everything
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
15-amp receptacles. Line to line check between the two receptacles. Are you showing 240 volts?

Four pin 240 volt 30 amp receptacle. Verify voltage. line to line then line to neutral. what does it show?

Beware of a blown circuit breaker. These units do not use the best grade pushbutton to reset. The Blue Seas breakers are dependably excellent.