cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Wiring

rangerheave
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new Keystone Energy 300fbs in March this year. The first time out with it, the 7pin cable became damaged and I tried to replace it. Everything is now functioning as normal except the Onan generator.

As things are wired right now, the unit makes a buzzing/humming noise which I assume is the electric fuel pump on the left side of the generator. The remote starter switch in the trailer does not function nor does the swith on the generator so it cannot be started and ran. I have had to disconnect the wiring harness at the generator to prevent it from continually making this noise. There are no wiring diagrams which came with my trailer when I bought it which would indicate how it all should be. If I contact Keystone could they provide the schematics or should I contact Onan?

Under the trailer in the junction box is where things are screwed up. I'm sure of it. My fear is that I'm going to fry something with my trial and error approach and need somebody to help me understand what color wire goes to what terminal.
2015 F350 Lariat
2015 Keystone Energy 300fbs "The Darby Queen III"
2009 Polaris Ranger 700 XP
2015 Polaris RZR 570
1 Beautiful Wife
2 Energetic Kids
1 Obnoxious Labradoodle

2 REPLIES 2

rangerheave
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your response. Ive never been good with electrical projects.

You mentioned replacing the whole cable rather than trying to repair one that is damaged as well as purchasing through Etrailer. This is exactly what I did and I watched their video on YouTube several times. They're a great source for parts as well as over the phone assistance.

I contacted the dealership that I bought my trailer from. Their response was they they will cover any and all warranty work except for the generator. They outsource that work to a small business in Anchorage.

I'll keep plugging away at it. There is a solution out there somewhere, I just need to find it.
2015 F350 Lariat
2015 Keystone Energy 300fbs "The Darby Queen III"
2009 Polaris Ranger 700 XP
2015 Polaris RZR 570
1 Beautiful Wife
2 Energetic Kids
1 Obnoxious Labradoodle

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both my trailers have the junction box where the 7-way cable comes from the truck and is tied into the trailer safety lights and electric brakes. The only connection from this junction to the trailer system is one cable connecting to the + side of your trailer battery and of course also trailer frame ground. The safety lights and the electric brakes connections have nothing to do with your trailer 12VDC system.

I would open the lid of the junction box and see if the 7-way cable is wired into it COLOR FOR COLOR. It could be the replacement 7-way cable color code for the wires was not for the RV TRAILERS.

You can also go to ETRAILER.COM and look at their VIDEO on replacing this cable. Might give you some ideas. Also ETRAILER is the best place to purchase a replacement cable that comes in two different lengths. If I had cut my 7-way cable I would definitely replace it with a new molded cable in lieu of trying to replace the cut section by rewiring the leads using crimp on connectors etc. Just replace the whole cable with a new one would be my choice. ETRAILER also has drawings you can look at as well on how the safety lights and electric brakes are wired up.

I really don't know how any of this would be involved with the generator installation. None of these wiring cables has anything to do with 120VAC and are only powered by the truck rear connections that the 7-way cable plugs into.

The only possible connection might be the +12VDC lead where the generator installer may have used to get 12VDC to the generator instead of going directly to the battery terminals????

ADDED NOTE: When contacting KEYSTONE be sure you have your trailer VIN NUMBER handy. I know JAYCO is very good at providing any and all diagrams and schematic and build-outs just for the asking. They will send it to you via email in PDF FORMAT...

I was going to suggest it may need to go back to where you bought it from and let them handle then I noticed you are from Alaska = that is probably not doable there.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS