cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator ??

tntcrock
Explorer
Explorer
I run my 5th wheel on generator while on private property w/out power.
I hook up to the generator on the 4 prong 30 amp output. I plug into this with a 50 amp to 4 prong generator setup i made; then i plug my 50 amp camper card into it. I'm trying to figure out if i get better power with this, since I'm getting to hot wires to camper. I would like to do away with using the heavy 50 amp cord. Would like to put my 50amp to 30amp adapter on the rv and then plug into generator cord. That would put 1 hot line coming from generator to camper and then splitting it back to 2 lines in the 50 to 30 amp adapter. I only use 1 a/c when on generator.
14 REPLIES 14

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
tntcrock wrote:
I have a generator cord I want to put a ss2-50r plug on one end. This is the end that plugs into my camper wall(removable cord. My generator cord is 4 male twist prong but only 3 wires; there's a jumper from neutral to ground. Do I wire the camper side same way? Black - hot, White - hot, green neutral and jump from neutral to ground? The ground on the camper side is just a metal plate on outside of connection that contacts camper.
I recommend getting a proper cord with 4 wires.

Otherwise yes bond the neutral and ground terminals. DO NOT use this cord for utility power.

tntcrock
Explorer
Explorer
I have a generator cord I want to put a ss2-50r plug on one end. This is the end that plugs into my camper wall(removable cord. My generator cord is 4 male twist prong but only 3 wires; there's a jumper from neutral to ground. Do I wire the camper side same way? Black - hot, White - hot, green neutral and jump from neutral to ground? The ground on the camper side is just a metal plate on outside of connection that contacts camper.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
You will get more with the 50a cord into the L6-30 outlet.
Half the outlet gives only half the generator power.

If running just light items you can get by fine with a standard 15 amp extension plugged into the 5-15 connector.

x2

You get ~25 amps per hot leg. If you go with the 3-wire/30A cord, you only get 25A or 3000W which is in turn shared by both legs of your RV. If you only plan to run 1 A/C and no electric water heater you should be fine.

You could also consider building a 30A (10 gauge) lighter 4-wire cord/adapter combo which has a connector that fits your RV on one end and generator on the other. In other words, make your "50 amp to 4 prong generator setup i made" into a cord.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How big is the generator? and how long is the cord run

For a 3600 watt or less genny either cord for short runs. Over 30 feet the 50 amp cord will have less loss (not sure where ther cut off is)

For a 5,000 watt generator go with the 50 amp cord.

Sounds that you are like me I have a detachable cord (like many do) with Marinco plug and outlet.. And both 30 and 50 amp cords to plug onto the inlet.

Way Way easier to wrangle the 30 amp super flex.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
I've looked at wiring diagrams for the 4 prong 30a.. it sure looks like 240v to me. Strange.
Common and normal. Same split-phase service as provided by NEMA 14-50 at any RV campground. Just lower amp rating and twistlock connection.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've looked at wiring diagrams for the 4 prong 30a.. it sure looks like 240v to me. Strange.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tntcrock
Explorer
Explorer
Yes 4 prong; I plug in with a L16-30 twist lock
It's a Black Max generator, think its 6,000 watts.
It's just an contractor style, not an inverter style.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You will get more with the 50a cord into the L6-30 outlet.
Half the outlet gives only half the generator power.

If running just light items you can get by fine with a standard 15 amp extension plugged into the 5-15 connector.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
LittleBill wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Your gen has 4 prongs on a 30a outlet?
most 240v/120v generators do.
Be good if the OP would give us the make/model, like I inferred from what Larry said. I'm not familiar with this setup.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

most 240v/120v generators do.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
When A/C is not needed it would be easier to recharge with a solar system.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Either way is OK.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably should tell us a bit about your generator, particularly what size is it in KW? Also, on the four prong generator output, is it 120V or 240V. Might help to explain why there is a 4 prong outlet on the generator.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog