cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Genny not producing

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
I have a portable 3000 watt generator that was running like a top when suddenly with nothing plugged in it started to bog down like it under a heavy load. I shut off the breakers thinking something might have gone wrong in one of the outlets but it got worse then smoke started coming out of the generator part. Within a fews seconds the engine came back up to revs and ran normally but now it doesnt produce power. Its probably toast but I thought I would give you guys a try in case it might be something repairable. Any thoughts?
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0
5 REPLIES 5

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Its a champion 4000/3000 its an older one I must have had it for 10 yrs now, runs great always starts except when the carb was gummed up & needed cleaning. One of my workers filled it with diesel one time and couldn't understand why it wouldn't start. I dumped it out by turning the whole genny over, emptied the float bowl filled it with gas and it started on the third pull. Its been a great little unit up to now..
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
The stator likely shorted which means replacing it. What is the make and model?

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
There may also be a capacitor or capacitors that may have fried. If you are handy with such things, I'd take it apart and look for bad parts, check for continuity of the alternator windings, etc. Google will no doubt yield a wealth of how to info, Youtube vids, and the like.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Have you taken the outlet panel apart and looked for burnt wiring or signs of a short? Do the breakers show continuity?

It sounds like the alternator may be toasted. I'm sure others who know more will chime in.

No I haven't had a chance to take anything apart yet but it smelled pretty bad and the smoke was coming from the alternator part

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Have you taken the outlet panel apart and looked for burnt wiring or signs of a short? Do the breakers show continuity?

It sounds like the alternator may be toasted. I'm sure others who know more will chime in.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP