cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AGMs & Maintainers

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
This topic is not RV related but there is more battery expertise here than anywhere else I know of. Mostly over my head ๐Ÿ™‚

I have this AGM battery in my Seadeoo. I used this maintainer on my wet cells, it worked great for them.

The AGM says it needs an "automatic temperature sensing voltage-regulated charger", such as, I suppose, this..

I disconnect the batery for storage, but even so I'm down to about 12.3 volts.

So, the questions is, can I use my current maintainer with this battery without shortening its life, or do I need to shell out for a new mantainer?

Thanks in advance.
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)
37 REPLIES 37

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot, they pretty much all used wet cells as OEM equipment. They have a vent overboard. They are just motorcycle batteries, really. I changed to AGM because one, obviously, you don't have to water 'em, and two, it was hard to see thru the case and read the level and three, I never owned one that had the electrolyte levels clearly marked. When is it low? How much is too much?

I didn't study up that much, it's just a battery, and just sort of figured I'd use the same old maintainer in the same old way, which was to hook it up and leave it whenever the Seadoo was not near a body of water. Months, over the winter, to a week or two during the summer.

After reading westends' last post (and others also) I am going to forget all the AGM stuff, and just treat it like a battery ๐Ÿ™‚

On edit: 15 years? Impressive ๐Ÿ™‚

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The difference between an AGM of that size and a FLA battery maintained is that an AGM likes to gulp a lot of current to perform well and the FLA will sip until it's full. That's why your battery maintainer delivers the low current and maintains that low current when powered and connected. Your AGM will survive better if fed even small sipping rather than sitting idle and no electrons served. It will lose little voltage while in storage so intervals between use becomes important. The small charge delivered by the engine is enough to maintain sufficient power and charge just a small bit. It is dumber than a battery charger.

FWIW, I maintain a few disconnected batteries, both AGM and FLA. I use these 12V batteries for emergency pumping duties, vehicle replacements, and any other use I find around the house. I have multiple chargers and 12V power supplies available. What works for me best is to use a reclaimed 12V wall wart. Unloaded it outputs 16VDC at a maximum of 3 amps. I connect it to a battery and watch voltage rise. After three of four days voltage will rise to 14V. At that point, I disconnect it. The battery is fully charged and is left to discharge until I get to it in a few monthes. My method is not perfect because i don't continually float but I have good luck with longevity. I have one Diehard that is 15 yrs old.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spill-able battery on a Sea Doo wouldn't be a good idea.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Tin Pusher wrote:

Seriously considering going back to a wet-cell when this one gives it up.

That would be sad.

Even if you treat it exactly like a wet-cell.....or worse....an AGM will typically last twice as long.

And it is much better choice for things that might end up upside down at one time or another.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot, red31, thanks for the links, and thanks to the rest for your input, however confusing I may have found it ๐Ÿ™‚

I am going to connect the maintainer over the weekend, see if I can up the SOC.

Seriously considering going back to a wet-cell when this one gives it up.

One thing to keep in mind, this battery has only one purpose in life: It is to start the Seadoo. Which it did, even at 12.4 V ๐Ÿ™‚

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tin Pusher wrote:
Manual doesn't say much of anything at all, just a bunch of cautions and warnings.

This isn't a manual. Should be something like this, see the graph on page 11 - Self Discharge of VRLA at Different Temperatures:
East Penn Deka.
Or order the manual for your exact model. Shouldn't be much difference.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Tin Pusher wrote:
On the maintainer 15 hrs yesterday, after resting overnite getting 12.69 V, didn't really gain that much. But good enough for now I guess.
Resting voltage on an AGM is a bit higher. I would leave the Battery Minder on for a week minimum.

See link below and scroll to page 13 to see resting voltage should be 12.80 or higher.
Battery is not yet fully charged.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
You have to just love the advice given here.

I believe the battery is toast already.
Then take the advice to pump 4 amps into a 10 AH battery, and toast it for good !! Real smart !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Tin Pusher wrote:
If it had a real manual maybe I wouldn't have to fish around on a forum like this for information ๐Ÿ™‚

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/contact/

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I would have because of it's long-term low state of charge put four amperes through it amd let voltage rise to 15 then disconnected it. But then agai that'me ๐Ÿ™‚

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the maintainer 15 hrs yesterday, after resting overnite getting 12.69 V, didn't really gain that much. But good enough for now I guess.

Almot, you'd lose that bet. Manual doesn't say much of anything at all, just a bunch of cautions and warnings. If it had a real manual maybe I wouldn't have to fish around on a forum like this for information ๐Ÿ™‚

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Fully charge; disconnect; leave in place; repeat in 3 months.

x2.
I bet the manual for this Duracell says that when fully charged, it will stay above 60% for 6 months at 90F. Slow self-discharge is one of the reasons why people buy AGM.

Shouldn't be a problem for 3 months, unless they damaged it already.

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna, went from 12.3x to 12.6x (didn't pay much attention the 1/100). Will post in the AM, after todays charge, maybe 15 hrs.

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tin,

What was the voltage after charging for 8 hours?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.