cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Golf Cart Batteries

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
What is new in the golf cart world? My girlfriend wants to buy one to run around the paved streets in the RV park. Anything new in the way of battery or charging technology that she should look for? Low maintenance as well. There is an EZGO dealer nearby.
27 REPLIES 27

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
The latest thing is AC drive systems ...

WOW ! I would have thought that technology was still too expensive !! (Basically, this is what is used in all electric cars.)

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isaac-1 wrote:
The latest thing is AC drive systems with 48V batteries, and of course Lithium batteries are just now starting to be offered by the major manufacturers though they have been available from the customizers for a few years. EZ-GO just started offering a lithium battery option this year as to cart's take a look at the EZ-GO RXV it was introduced in 2009, with an improved controller being introduced in 2012 so they are new enough to have a modern AC drive system, regenerative braking, etc. yet old enough to be available as off lease carts. We have one (2010 electric RXV) on the family farm that we bought about 2 years ago from a big used golf cart distributor (he sells thousands of used carts per year, mostly to small dealers), paid $1,800 for it with 1 year old batteries, then spent $450 or so freshening it up to make it look almost like new (new seat covers, plexi windshield, and new slightly larger wheels and tires).

No Woody Woodpecker decals on each side? No Shazam lightening bolt graphics?----Lame!!! ๐Ÿ˜ž

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Woody+Woodpecker+Thrush+decal&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ah...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
The latest thing is AC drive systems with 48V batteries, and of course Lithium batteries are just now starting to be offered by the major manufacturers though they have been available from the customizers for a few years. EZ-GO just started offering a lithium battery option this year as to cart's take a look at the EZ-GO RXV it was introduced in 2009, with an improved controller being introduced in 2012 so they are new enough to have a modern AC drive system, regenerative braking, etc. yet old enough to be available as off lease carts. We have one (2010 electric RXV) on the family farm that we bought about 2 years ago from a big used golf cart distributor (he sells thousands of used carts per year, mostly to small dealers), paid $1,800 for it with 1 year old batteries, then spent $450 or so freshening it up to make it look almost like new (new seat covers, plexi windshield, and new slightly larger wheels and tires).

What would be the comparable new price for that same model?

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I'll bet that cart would zoom around quite nicely with 100lb of battery vs. 300.

Yeah, I can just see it now...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll bet that cart would zoom around quite nicely with 100lb of battery vs. 300.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
What is new in the golf cart world? My girlfriend wants to buy one to run around the paved streets in the RV park. Anything new in the way of battery or charging technology that she should look for? Low maintenance as well.

Trojan does make a a 6V AGM golf cart battery, T105-AGM. Not cheap. Likely have to be order by most Trojan dealers.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen the older carts with six-6V's and that is why I posed the question if there was anything new. E-Z-GO (Textron) only charges (pun intended) a little more for the lithium option.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some golf cars that are 48 volt have four big 12s (T-1275s eg) while others have six 8 volt batts.

IMO for the OP's purpose, get one with 12s so you can use RV battery charging if need be. Can't with 8s.

An older golf car I saw had a 36 volt system with six 6v batts in it. That would also work for RV chargers, doing two 6s at a time as 12s.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
12V 100AH Lithium Ion Battery

36V 100AH LITHIUM GOLF CART BATTERY KIT

Kit includes

3 - 12V 100AH Lithium Batteries

1 FREE - 3 Bank 6A Lithium Charger

FREE SHIPPING

$3,899.97

Lithium would be GREAT! Below 40F, she would be forced to walk which automatically would serve to keep her warmer...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
For a 24 volt system this battery may be worth a look

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datasheets/Ranger160_Trojan_Data_Sheets.pdf

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am unaware of the availability of carbon construction in the GC class of battery but they are "out there" in some sizes. Might be worthwhile to google

CARBON GOLF CAR BATTERIES

and see what pops up. I would think for the same amount of money as lithium you could hire someone to drive her around. Eliminate parking hassles and wet seats.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't want to lug around 300lb of batteries get Lithium. No maintenance, but big wallet hit.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman