cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 2000i Carb Job With Photos Must Read!!!!!

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to share a bit of my time and knowledge of the Honda 2000 I generator. I know that this time of year we all want to get things started and dont want to have the hassle of needing our Honda and having it not work. Here is a 30 minute fix up that will get you going.
This is a simple Carb cleaning and maintenance.
First empty old fuel by tilting the genny over and getting all of the old stuff out of there.

First remove the side panel

Then remove the Air Cleaner cover. one flat head screw.

Using an 8mm socket remove the 2 nuts and 1 bolt.

Once the hardware is removed pull off the air clean box, intake manifold and the breather tube. These 3 parts can be removed in one big piece. You can see where the breather tube goes in photo below.

The breather tube runs into the engine body here.

All 3 parts removed and set aside.

First remove the fuel line.
Slide the Carb off of the two bolts that will remain in the block of the engine. I like to leave the cable attached. This is the Eco Throttle. If you remove it you will have a spring shoot off and if you do manage to find it you most likely won't figure out how to put it back without a trip to a Honda dealer. It's just easier to leave on.

Front side of Carb.

Engine with the parts removed. This is a good time to drain the oil and fill it back up.

These photos show the position of the vent tubes so you can see where they are form replacing. Go ahead and remove the tubes now. Using a 10mm socket remover the float bowl nut. It's the Brass one seen above in the middle of the float bowl.

You can now see the float. The float pivots on a pin it is simply slid out for removal of the float. The float moves up and down and shuts off the fuel to the bowl. The bowl will most likely show signs of rust and will need a good cleaning. There is an o-ring gasket there, you can usually reuse this gasket.

Here the float have been removed.

The main jet is in the tube shown. Use a skinny screw driver and remove the jet and 2 parts will fall out. These are almost always full of gunk. Use a Carb cleaner in a can and blow these parts out really good. Take extra time this is the heart of the Carb.

These are how the parts go back in. Order and direction is important.

At this point use the carb cleaner and spray all of the inner parts of the float area and spray ino any holes you see. Spray into the holes while moving throttle plates and choke plates. You basically want to exercise all moving parts and get the cleaner into everywhere.
At this point put everything back together on the carb in reverse order and put the vents tubes back on.
Slide the Carb back onto the 2 bolts and then run the vent tubes back into the Genset case. As shown below.

Shown about is the Carb back on with the tubes re-run.

These photos show the bolts going back in and the final steps to getting it back to running order.

At this point you can change the plug and give her a pull!!!

I hope this has been informative.

To those of you that will be attending the Mid Atlantic Truck Camper Rally Just ask and I can walk you though this in no time. And maybe throw in a quick seminar if enough folks are interested in seeing it done.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

235 REPLIES 235

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
You have not answered the question, why do you need to remove the tube?

The "tube" / main nozzle and main jet is what tends to gum up and clog. You can not clear it out effectively unless it is removed from the port.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have not answered the question, why do you need to remove the tube?

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
robert@honda wrote:
Our tech guys tell me the tube should drop right out, maybe with some moderate taps to loosen it, but nothing severe.

If it does not drop out, it's likely the corrosion or debris has "welded" it to the inside of the carb body, and there's probably other nastiness in other parts of the carb too. A new carb maybe the best solution: $106 list price, but can usually be found discounted at many dealers. Honda part number is 16100-Z01-D03.

Lots of dealers sell parts online, but you can also find a local Honda dealer at this link: Honda Dealer Locator Link

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

Thanks for the info Robert...I plan to give it one more go to see if I can tap it out or extract it using a screw extractor. If I can't I suppose my only option is to order a whole new carb. Thanks again for looking into this for me.

robert3
Explorer
Explorer
Our tech guys tell me the tube should drop right out, maybe with some moderate taps to loosen it, but nothing severe.

If it does not drop out, it's likely the corrosion or debris has "welded" it to the inside of the carb body, and there's probably other nastiness in other parts of the carb too. A new carb maybe the best solution: $106 list price, but can usually be found discounted at many dealers. Honda part number is 16100-Z01-D03.

Lots of dealers sell parts online, but you can also find a local Honda dealer at this link: Honda Dealer Locator Link

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
dreamco wrote:
bigfootford wrote:
dreamco wrote:
There is definitely no grey on either end of the tube that I can see...it appears brass color with no discoloration at all. The generator is only 2 years old with very minimal use. I'm really surprised that this tube is as seized as it is.

Me too!

Can you push it back in and out despite being a small amount?

Jim

No, the tube hasn't budged a millimeter

Oh, I thought it budged a bit at first....

Was the jet, 31 tight/hard to remove?

If you place the a screwdriver blade flat on the end protruding into the venturi area to keep from damaging/flattening it and then use another screw driver to use as a lever that might work, keeping the other driver flat on the end of the tube...
Never seen that tube stick like that...

We do have an active member that is a Honda tech...Wonder if someone can rouse him....I don't recall his name. I will look/search and see.

Jim

Ironically the main jet (#31) screwed right out without issue.
I'll try your method with a couple of screwdrivers and see how that works.

Thanks for all the help Jim....greatly appreciated!

Wayne

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
dreamco wrote:
bigfootford wrote:
dreamco wrote:
There is definitely no grey on either end of the tube that I can see...it appears brass color with no discoloration at all. The generator is only 2 years old with very minimal use. I'm really surprised that this tube is as seized as it is.

Me too!

Jim

Oh, I thought it budged a bit at first....

Was the jet, 31 tight/hard to remove?

If you place the a screwdriver blade flat on the end protruding into the venturi area to keep from damaging/flattening it and then use another screw driver to use as a lever that might work, keeping the other driver flat on the end of the tube...
Never seen that tube stick like that...

We do have an active member that is a Honda tech...Wonder if someone can rouse him....I don't recall his name. I will look/search and see.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
dreamco wrote:

Me too!

Jim

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
dreamco wrote:

Me too!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
dreamco wrote:
bigfootford wrote:
dreamco wrote:

That's exactly what I tried to do...I was pushing down pretty hard on the little nipple protruding through the main throat and I still couldn't get it to move. I wasn't sure of how much pressure to apply.

Ummm....guess I would try pb blaster or wd40, let it soak....
Push it back in and then back out a bunch of times, spraying a bit as you do it and see if it will free up...
Would hate to see you damage the tube but that may be your only recourse. Or do what Wayne said.

You do not want to damage the tip that goes into the venturi area... You may not get it out....So pulling it is the thing to do after you have it sticking out from the jet end if possible.

What I saw with Wayne's (Reddog) was that it had corrosion from water on the tube...So that may be the same with yours...

Jim

I don't see any evidence of corrosion or water..I think the old fuel is just gummed up that bad. I wonder if a little bit of acetone would eat away the gunk and free it up? Could acetone be harmful to any other surrounding parts?

You will not see the corrosion on the tube until you get it out.
The water will turn the brass tube gray...If the protruding end is gray that would be corrosion.

Keep the Acetone away from any of the plastic parts...
I would use WD or Pb blaster and be patient...Try to work the tube in and out.

Jim

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
dreamco wrote:

That's exactly what I tried to do...I was pushing down pretty hard on the little nipple protruding through the main throat and I still couldn't get it to move. I wasn't sure of how much pressure to apply.

Push it back in and then back out a bunch of times, spraying a bit as you do it and see if it will free up...
Would hate to see you damage the tube but that may be your only recourse. Or do what Wayne said.

You do not want to damage the tip that goes into the venturi area... You may not get it out....So pulling it is the thing to do after you have it sticking out from the jet end if possible.

What I saw with Wayne's (Reddog) was that it had corrosion from water on the tube...So that may be the same with yours...

Jim

I don't see any evidence of corrosion or water..I think the old fuel is just gummed up that bad. I wonder if a little bit of acetone would eat away the gunk and free it up? Could acetone be harmful to any other surrounding parts?

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
dreamco wrote:

Jim

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
If I underestand correctly, the tube you want to remove is piece 12 (NOZZLE, MAIN (Honda Code 6727770) in the carb break down. If true, did you remove the piece 32 (JET SET, PILOT (#35) (Honda Code 1441609)? With piece 32 removed, you can insert a flat screwdriver in the throat of the carb, and using the flat side of the screwdriver, push the piece 12 down.

When looking at the diagram, find the top of 12 (emulsion tube) that tip will protrude into the inside of the venturi/throat of the carb..Remove 31 (jet) with a screwdriver. Just use the flat part of the screw driver and push 12 from the inside of the venturi. ..It will slide out enough to pull it out where 31 (jet) was screwed into.

Jim

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reddog1 wrote:
If I underestand correctly, the tube you want to remove is piece 12 (NOZZLE, MAIN (Honda Code 6727770) in the carb break down. If true, did you remove the piece 32 (JET SET, PILOT (#35) (Honda Code 1441609)? With piece 32 removed, you can insert a flat screwdriver in the throat of the carb, and using the flat side of the screwdriver, push the piece 12 down.

When looking at the diagram, find the top of 12 (emulsion tube) that tip will protrude into the inside of the venturi/throat of the carb..Remove 31 (jet) with a screwdriver. Just use the flat part of the screw driver and push 12 from the inside of the venturi. ..It will slide out enough to pull it out where 31 (jet) was screwed into.

Jim

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke