cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda and onboard PSW inverter?

N8GS
Explorer
Explorer
Many inverter generators will sync up and run in parallel. As I understand it you start the first generator and then the second one sync's to it when started. My question is - could this work with an onboard 2000 watt PSW inverter and a 2000 watt Honda generator. I'm thinking that if it is possible it would work well for load sharing when starting the AC, eliminating the need for a second generator.
Has anyone tried this? Did it work or did it let the smoke out.
Ham radio 73's from Gale N8GS
2009 GMC 2500HD Ext cab, LB 4x4 Duramax
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS Pin wt.2900#
B&W companion
2 Honda EU2000i
400 Ah LiFePO4 batteries + 470W of solar w/ Outback FM-60 CC
Samlex 2000w PSW inverter
18 REPLIES 18

N8GS
Explorer
Explorer
I think we should get MEX to test my idea, but using his money and equipment of course.

This whole idea is one of those things where you wake up at 3AM from a dream thinking, what if.
Ham radio 73's from Gale N8GS
2009 GMC 2500HD Ext cab, LB 4x4 Duramax
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS Pin wt.2900#
B&W companion
2 Honda EU2000i
400 Ah LiFePO4 batteries + 470W of solar w/ Outback FM-60 CC
Samlex 2000w PSW inverter

MrWizard
in practice
you would have to turn on the inverter first, so the Honda could sync
as the avg PSW inverter does not have syncing ability

the honda would have be attached at the output side of the inverter feeding the RV and A/C, Not the shore cord the inverter would be the primary (Not the Honda)
it would always be online using battery
you would need a charger/converter powered by another circuit ? to maintain the batteries

you could maybe make up a syncing connection harnes box like 2oldman and his three hondas, plug inverter into that, NOT to the RV house circuits
then plug shore cord into the honda output

in other words it might be doable, but it really is a PAIN, just to attempt this

if you get a magnum combo inverter or a victron inverter
yes those should provide temporary load support to any good clean 120v ac input power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Not the first to ask this question. Never read a post where someone was brave enough to do it. I have my doubts the Honda voltage regulation would work well with a battery/inverter as the Honda is designed to let voltage sag a bit to trigger ramping up power.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I may be wrong but is there a primary (alpha) and a Beta principle in inverter generator synchronization? They do not use the finals as a reference signal do they? Using finals would be risky interconnect cord vulnerability wise. If they use an intermediate signal, where and how would a person tap into an inverter circuit to find a readable signal? Heavy emphasis on doubt...