cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter install by dealer

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new fifth wheel last year and it did not have the inverter included so I negotiated that as part of the deal.. When I pickup to the fifth wheel, they didn't have time to install it, they just gave me the inverter and days to have a local dealer install it and they would pay me back. Which I had the local dealer install it and they actually did pay me back. My fifth wheel had an Onan 4000 installed as well.

So I went camping once last year after it was installed and noticed it didn't power any electrical outlets. I would have thought a $500 install would have included wiring it to the panel to power the outlets. It's in the shop now and I asked them about it, they said I would need a bigger inverter to power the outlets. I'm like, it's a 2000 amp inverter, it should be plenty big. And installing it where I need to run an extension cord is dumb. They also said I can't run it to the go power solar panel control, because that had a button to turn the inverter on and off.

I boondock one 5 night trip a year and a couple 3 night trips, so a running inverter is pretty useful.

Please let me know your thoughts.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch
39 REPLIES 39

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
DiskDoctr wrote:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29545741/gotomsg/29545774.cfm#29545774

Is your 20 receptacle really directly fed from shore/generator power or is it from the 120V distribution panel?

Also, do you have another ATS in the Shore power / generator block (that you've left out for simplicity) or do you manually plug shore power into the generator?

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
I'm guessing the "you need a bigger inverter" suggestion means they were using the built in transfer switch in the inverter?

I had the same issue last year when deciding what and how to wire in an inverter. The recommendation I liked most and followed from the folks here was to add a standalone ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) to the shore power/inverter circuits to keep the charger, inverter, AC power all powered only when necessary without chance of backfeed, double feed, or conversion loop (battery to AC while AC charging battery)

Then I was able to use whatever inverter size I wanted and use it to power EVERY outlet and AC item in the camper- up to my available inverter amps.

Works perfectly!

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29545741/gotomsg/29545774.cfm#29545774

Thanks!!! I'll see what the dealer comes back with on Monday. Then maybe show then this.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
is your shore cord in or near the same basement location ?
yes ?
then step (1) is turn off the circuit breaker for your charge converter
step (2) put fridge on LP, put water heater on LP
step (3) use what ever adapter is needed and plug your shore cord into the inverter

turn on inverter

reverse process when you need the generator
BEFORE you start the generator

Step 1... Is that just a circuit breaker in the panel? I don't think I've seen one labeled that before.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
This is why I like Samlex. The DC distribution panel just hooks to the batteries via a fuse.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing the "you need a bigger inverter" suggestion means they were using the built in transfer switch in the inverter?

I had the same issue last year when deciding what and how to wire in an inverter. The recommendation I liked most and followed from the folks here was to add a standalone ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) to the shore power/inverter circuits to keep the charger, inverter, AC power all powered only when necessary without chance of backfeed, double feed, or conversion loop (battery to AC while AC charging battery)

Then I was able to use whatever inverter size I wanted and use it to power EVERY outlet and AC item in the camper- up to my available inverter amps.

Works perfectly!

MrWizard
is your shore cord in or near the same basement location ?
yes ?
then step (1) is turn off the circuit breaker for your charge converter
step (2) put fridge on LP, put water heater on LP
step (3) use what ever adapter is needed and plug your shore cord into the inverter

turn on inverter

reverse process when you need the generator
BEFORE you start the generator
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you plug the main cord into the inverter... also cut power to the converter and set the water and fridge to propane only.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
I was expecting to be able to plug into any outlet and use them after the install like they come from the factory.
You can if you just plug your shore cord in like I said earlier.

Lol you did say that but not really. You skipped that part but I can see it now that I reread it.

That's a good idea, would actually work ok. Have to run the cord, it's outside to outside at least.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
delete. ooops.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, the modern inverter/charger/transfer switch should be the HUB of your 120VAC and 12VDC system !! Yes, buying one device that does inverting charging and transferring from battery (invert) to shore power to generator will be expensive, but a good one will actually be very easy to install !! Then you no longer need a converter, just a 12VDC fuse/distribution panel.

Check out the Samlex EVO

All the connections (except for the battery) are in one place. It is possible to wiring in a remote start for the generator.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How big is the inverter?
Generally small ones (under 1,000 watts) only power the TV and related stuff
around 1500 they add in some outlets and/or the microwave
Around 2KW they add in outlets AND the microwave

They may also have ASSUMED you wanted to power the fridge. OF course I'm sure you remember how to spell Assume the same away I do, with hyphens on either side of the "U".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
I was expecting to be able to plug into any outlet and use them after the install like they come from the factory.
You can if you just plug your shore cord in like I said earlier.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
jcpainter wrote:
They used #6 wire and it should have been #00.
2/0 would be tight depending on length. I recommend 4/0 for 2000 watts.

Custom cable here:
http://www.genuinedealz.com/custom-cables?size=48

The 2/0 or "00" (double ought) is what the manual said to use.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
How is the inverter wired? How many batteries? What size 12v wire?

Does it just sit there and you have to plug in the main cord?

Otherwise you need to pull wire and install a transfer switch and remote if you want push button power.

Ok to post some pictures.

BTW my 300 watt inverter powers the outlets just fine. Dealer is full of it or does not understand electricity.

2 12 volt batteries, not sure how it's wired. Right now it's in my basement close to the batteries. To use it, I have to go outside the fifth wheel, open the basement, turn it on, plug on an extension cord and run it to what I want, clearly not useful. I was expecting to be able to plug into any outlet and use them after the install like they come from the factory.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
time2roll wrote:
How is the inverter wired? How many batteries? What size 12v wire?

Does it just sit there and you have to plug in the main cord?

Otherwise you need to pull wire and install a transfer switch and remote if you want push button power.

Ok to post some pictures.

BTW my 300 watt inverter powers the outlets just fine. Dealer is full of it or does not understand electricity.

Hope you mean 3000 watt not 300. a 300 watt inverter might power a laptop, not much else... Sort of like the Op with a 2000 amp inverter If he has that he must have a portable power generation plant.:E

Yes 2000 Watt lol