cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Koler Generator Problem

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
I am helping a friend on his Koler generator 4000 watt that came with his camper and I can get the engine to turn over and start with the switch on the panel by the engine but when I release the switch the ignition cuts out. I tried the switch on the dash and that switch does not work all the time and I tested the switch and it is fine. Also the choke is not heating up. I would appreciate any help thanks. Tim
34 REPLIES 34

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks every one for the help the person is going to look for another used working generator instead of dumping money in the one he has.

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
It won't turn over with the starter every time I put a fuse in it blows the fues. When I had it running with the start button I got no current from the braker leads.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Double-check the AC electrical output once again to satisfy my curiosity,

1. Set multimeter on Hz and then check output. Frequency not AC voltage.

2. Hold the start button in as you check. Are you getting 60 Hz?

This is not tinkering. It is a diagnostic test procedure.

SECOND TEST

Use multimeter ohms resistance setting, measure resistance between generator AC output NEUTRAL to chassis ground. Just sitting there without trying to start it. Do you get a reading other than "Open Circuit" on the meter?

MrWizard
tvenetis wrote:
I tried applying 12 volts to the brushes but now it keeps blowing the starting fuse.

The brushes aka field circuit is 24~28 volts... not 12v
And if you want to test , you must disconnect the brushes from the control board, the applied voltage must not feed back to the control board, test voltage must come from an external source not the control board, start fuse is not strong enough to carry the field current
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
The coil I'm talking about is the ignition coil.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
I tried applying 12 volts to the brushes but now it keeps blowing the starting fuse.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
When I had problems with mine I was loosing the 12 volts to the coil. After starting the gen set, try applying 12 volts to the coil if it stays running there is a relay in the controls box that has some bad contacts on it. If it continues to run let me know.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
I know where there is a onen 4000 watt camper generator are the hook up the same as kohler generator unit?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
tvenetis wrote:
I did check the voltage on the circuit breaker by the generator and when I have the engine started holding the button it puts out 55 volts ac.

Well, that is your problem then.

If the voltage is not 110 then the computer board will shut down the engine. The start switch overrides the safety, once it is released the computer board sees the low voltage and shuts off the motor so no damage is done to the coach.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
I also checked wire 55 from one of the fuse terminals to ground with a volt meter no voltage.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
tvenetis wrote:
I did check the voltage on the circuit breaker by the generator and when I have the engine started holding the button it puts out 55 volts ac.

Well, that is your problem then.
-- Chris Bryant

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
How do I check the voltage regulator?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Once again did you check the voltage regulator? They are known for going out on the RV Kohlers!

When you hold down the start button it bypasses all the safety checks (i.e. low oil, speed, voltage...) It's when you release the switch is when the board takes over and verify a safe working condition.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.