cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Layout of Components for Solar Install

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like some input on my conceptual plan for my solar install, in particular the best location for the various components.

For reference, here is my floor plan:

This photo is looking in the entry door at the battery box under the step. The cabinetry to the left of the battery box houses the fridge (above) and the furnace (below), with a shallow storage cabinet facing the steps, just above the photo edge. The couch is to the right. Most of the area beneath the couch is a metal box for our primary exterior storage bay. However, there is storage along the front and both sides of the couch. Currently, our inverter is mounted just inside the end of the couch shown on the right.

Panels - Four 158W panels mounted in parallel. Wiring drop through fridge vent should drop wires straight down to left of battery box.

TriMetric - Mount somewhere on cabinet to left of battery box. This is also where the RV control panel is, so this seems like the best spot. Just need to decide whether to mount it up high or down low.

Shunt - This should go in with the batteries, right? Like in the small compartment to the left where the wiring connections are already managed?

Tristar 60 Amp PWM Controller - This is my main question... I know this should be as close to the batteries as possible, so I have two options. Option 1 would be to mount it on the inside of the end of the couch where the inverter is. This would be rather tight to access for wiring (since I cannot move the big metal box that is the exterior storage). However, this would be an interior location if that is relevant. Option 2 (what I was hoping to do) would be to mount it in the external storage compartment that is under the couch (see photo below).

This is the exterior storage bay (the end of which is about 23" H x 23" W and there is currently about 6" between the wall of the bay and the first storage boxes). I envision mounting the charge controller and related stuff on this end wall which is just under the couch and therefore adjacent to the battery box.

Batteries - Will stick with current set until they die. Then likely upgrade to 2 Trojan 27TMH 12V batteries (my battery compartment is not tall enough for 6V batteries).

Inverter - Will stick with current 400W inverter for now until/unless we find we have need for something else. This is already wired with an on/off switch and mounted under the couch and would anticipate it will stay there.

Any thoughts?
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs
18 REPLIES 18

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I'd put in the storage compartment then since the distance is really short. And I might add two vents to allow ariflow through the compartment.

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
@mena - Maybe a little over a foot? The batteries are under the entry steps. If you look at the last photo of the storage area, you can see the entry door open on the left side. So the distance is about the width of the white side of the RV you see between the entry door and the storage compartment.

@smkettner - Thanks! Would some sort of vent hole at the back of the compartment be helpful? We usually travel in cooler weather, but obviously want to be set up for whatever.
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
High voltage solar down the fridge vent across the battery compartment to the controller mounted in the storage shown. Then easy to push the 12v charge wire back to the batteries.

Possibly put the controller in with the fridge if there is space. (my preference)

The MS-60 needs some air for cooling so you may need to reorganize the storage with some smaller bins.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
How far is that external storage from the batteries?