cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking levellers (jacks)

DanMar
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed all 4 jacks on my 2000 Holiday Rambler are starting to leak automatic transmission fluid. I believe the seals are going. Someone suggested using a "stop leak additive" to my reservoir, but not sure if that procedure will do more harm than good. Expensive job to get all 4 replaced..All responses appreciated..Thank you !
8 REPLIES 8

DanMar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug...I'll look for those numbers next time I'm under there!
Appreciate your info!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
DanMar wrote:
Just found out they are POWER GEAR jacks....any more suggestions?

Yes, buy the rebuild kits for your 4 jacks. There is a number on each jack on a yellow label. The 2 front will probably be one size and the 2 rear a larger size. Doug

DanMar
Explorer
Explorer
Just found out they are POWER GEAR jacks....any more suggestions?

DanMar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the replies & help. I'll find out tomorrow what kind they are, & take it from there. I believe they are RBW, but not 100% sure.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
What brand? HWH or Powergear? DO NOT USE ANY TYPE STOP LEAK. IT WILL RUIN THE MOTOR PUMP AND WILL NOT WORK ON THE SEALS. The PSI of the system is 2900 to 3200 psi. Powergear, they make a rebuild kit for their jacks(from $75 to $140 per jack depending on the model jack). HWH you can remove them and send them to HWH for rebuild but that takes about 4 weeks total, but is 1/2 the cost of purchasing 4 new jack cylinders.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
This might not work but I've done it on some problem seals on cylinders: extend cylinder and wipe down, using 400 or so emery cloth, completely sand the cylinder's surface. Clean the cylinder real good with solvent. Apply oil to the cylinder surface.

Hydraulic cylinders are usually highly polished and hardened. Only sand sharp spots (nicks) very little and carefully to remove burrs only.

Roughing up a cylinder is a good way to ruin a cylinder and cause seals to leak.

New seals are far cheaper than permanently damaging even one cylinder.

I use Allied Seal for new seals, packing, or kits.

BTW, this was taught to me by a relative with many years at a hydraulic cylinder repair company. Big, expensive stuff ๐Ÿ˜‰

westend
Explorer
Explorer
This might not work but I've done it on some problem seals on cylinders: extend cylinder and wipe down, using 400 or so emery cloth, completely sand the cylinder's surface. Clean the cylinder real good with solvent. Apply oil to the cylinder surface.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
don't know what type of jacks you have but some Power Gear jacks have zerk fittings if yours do a few pumps of grease might help. You can also have them rebuilt by a hydraulics shop mine ran 100.00 each to rebuild.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH