cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lexel as final window caulk -- the good and the bad

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
After installing our front window with plenty of butyl tape, and after cleaning off the tape residue, I wanted a final caulking. I had read that silicone would be no good because it pulls off. So I found this product, Lexel, which is supposed to be perfect for this application.

The good news is that it is really easy to apply and it really sticks after it's cured

The bad news is that it is not easy to smooth it when applying it. Although it dries clear, it is somewhat wavy. And it's kind of shiny, so it's easy to see the imperfections. They say that you can stick your finger in soapy water or mineral spirits in order to smooth it while applying it. But I tried that and it didn't work well.

I should add that I caulked the top of the window and a few inches down on each side, but no further. According to the reading I've done, it's not a good idea to trap any moisture that might get in. Leaving the sides un-caulked allows some drainage, or so they say.

Finally, I should also add that we did a thorough water test, and the window is completely watertight.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
1 REPLY 1

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Congrats on the DIY fix!! Sounds like you did a great job. Let's hope it with stands the test of time.

Jerry