cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MagneTec series 6300A # 6332 32 a converter w/c Fan Question

bigkenobsd
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, Thank you in advance for your help. I have owned this 92 Toyota Itasca for about 6 months now and I do live in it. The normal procedure is to plug into the shoreline from the house every night when I park.Usually it takes about 20 minutes for the converter fan (MagneTec series 6300 a m# 6332 32 amp power converter w/ battery charger ) to kick on and the it runs for a few hours and turns off. The outside temperature has dropped lately and the charger seems to be working fine but the fan does not kick on. I guess my question is this. Is the fan temperature controlled or is it supposed to run continuously while the charger is is charging. Thanks again.
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigkenobsd wrote:
Progressive Dynamics 4600

Now let me explain something...

When you have a Magnetek 6300,, Finding a downgrade is downright hard to do. Cause that's about as far down as you can get.

Replacing the guts with a Progressive Dynamics Intella-power 4600

Well, Finding a BETTER one is something I've been trying to do or nearly a decade,, have yet to find one.. You just went from the bottom of the list.. To the very top.

GOOD CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigkenobsd wrote:

That will work. 🙂 Don't forget the Charge Wizard is part of that when you want to use the CW.

I see Randy is saying there will soon be a 14.8v PD9200 to meet the latest battery specs.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

bigkenobsd
Explorer
Explorer

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, but which "upgrade" did you get? How can we be Monday Morning Quarterbacks and tell you how you screwed up without knowing that? 🙂
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

bigkenobsd
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Friends, Received the new converter in a timely fashion from Best Converters. The swap went smooth and the new converter is working fine.The one Thing I would make sure you do is identify and label every wire you remove.If you have the means, take a series of photos of your wiring for reference later. Thanks so much for the input you were so right Randy is the man and the converter is a perfect swap.

bigkenobsd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. I just talked to Randy and ordered the 45 amp upgrade kit and a surge protector. I am pretty handy and will post a update when the job is finished.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fan is thermostatically controlled, it comes on when it gets hot, if the air surrounding the unit is cold enough, it will never get hot enough to fire up the fan.

Page 2:
Upgrade, on the list of converters where units like the Progressive Dynamics 9200 (or in your case 4600) and IOTA with IQ-4 and a host of others are at the top of the list

That magnetek 6300 comes in dead last.. UPGRADE the thing.

The 4600 replaces the ELECTRONICS in the magnetek so you keep the same distribution panel, way cheaper than replacing the entire thing.

Randy at Best Converters can provide help, the web site instructions.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. the Magnetek or Parallax converter is a very poor battery charger. It's output voltage of 3.8v is to low for fast charging and high enough to boil the water in the battery.

I replaced my OEM Magnetek/Parallax converter with a Progressive Dynamics converter. It senses the battery's state of charge and adjusts the output voltage accordingly for fast charging and long battery life.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Keep in mind that your converter charges the battery at 3 amps - not the full output of the converter.
The standard failure mode of that converter is for the fan to die which allows a current limiting resistor and bridge rectifier to fail. When that happens the failed diodes cause a continuous drain on the battery.
You've caught it right before the catastrophic failure.
It's time to replace it with a good three stage converter like a Progressive Dynamics Inc (PDI).
I suggest you go to Bestconvertercom and check them out. Randy is very helpful and will steer you in the right direction. There's even directions on their site of how to swap out the converter.

bigkenobsd
Explorer
Explorer
Hello jrnymn7 , Thank you so much for the response.I found exactly what I needed to know.

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/RV%20Information/MagnaTek%20Pwr%20Converter/RV%20Binder1.pdf

According to the picture on page 9, the fan is thermostatically controlled.