cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MEGAWATT 60-AMP INTRODUCTION

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
To be available starting the last week in January.

$110.00
109 REPLIES 109

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you made a tidy profit to cover gasoline expenses and importation duty on the el cheapo Gringo models you sold off, used, "As Is" no warranty expressed or implied.

So now, which amp charge version for the 2 Pac GC-2 battery crowd do you recommend?

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
PNick, set the voltage, twist the timer and go about your business. You'll spend WAY more time putting all that together.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Aha I get it...

Give a man a T.V. remote control and...

clickclickclickclickclickcliclclickclickclickclickclickclickkclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick...

Four hours, weeknghts, nine hours straight on weekends...

"Why are you changing channels so much?"

"Because there are buttons that can be pressed. That's why they're there. If they didn't want you to press them they wouldn't put them there".

I imagine I swill spend oh - what, 8.8 seconds a month adjusting voltages. Clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
... reads like a lot of knob twirling to me ... ?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Har Har Har!

Me? Six and a quarter tons of AGM batteries? Can I get a private island, and maybe a Gulfstream too? As it is, it's a race to see who goes belly-up, first.

The BORG is like all cubes, under revision. The Cheapos were begged and sniveled out from under me. These fishermen all have illegal 200 watt VHF base stations. When they saw the Cheapos they flipped. Most are planning 300 watt upgrades (20-40 mile range). They talk to each other on land as well as to a boat.

So now it's Megawatt. One waiting in the PO box and the other in John Marle's hands ready to ship to Chula Vista. Grand plans of 100+ amps were foiled by tripping breakers. Eighty lousy amps will have to do.

Also replacing the VISHAY standard 10-turn pots with dial caliper type pots. The final output gets a 4-1/2 digit voltmeter, and twin volt/ammeters are incorporated to balance output.

Selectable 1 or 2 PS operation with an on-on switch. The vishay pot gets connected to a 4.17 amp variable power supply for floating. The last power supply is a 4.17 amp 16-volt power supply used for single battery equalization.

LED indicators for all functions. 6-hour Intermatic spring wound timer, defaults to float. Severe transient protection on AC input lines. MOV's, Avalanche rectifiers, and gas tube discharge devices.

And a stainless steel cable and American brand padlock. The sucker is likely to grow 11 legs and buffle off to shuffalo without security.

And yes, the 400-amp Shottkey rectifier is used to isolate the power supplies.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ninerbikes,

How hands-off is that BORG adjustable charger?

IAW, do you need to sit beside it with a stop watch, an air thermometer, and a hydrometer - as you twirl a knob .... or can you set-it and for-get?

(I can't believe I just mentioned "set-it and forget-it".)

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Could someone give Mex a couple of lessons on image hosting, how to set up an account, how to upload, and how to connect the link, all of this done from Old Mexico???

Do I get exclusive distribution rights in the USA for the Mexwanderer BORG adjustable charger? The prototype should have been ready and in my hands a month ago, pre Consumer Electronics Show Convention in Las Vegas this week, David.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
"... rubber lab apron short sleeve wool shirt, gauntlet gloves, spash googles covered by a full face shield, and Freas in a quick draw holster ..."

Mex,

All that fancy protective outer lab wear and holster wouldn't be necessary if ya switched 100% to some other kind of batts.

For example, I experiment with my AGM batts by seeing how fast I can dust them off in my swimming trunks with no pockets or holsters.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This fartsmone outwits me. Camera to upload site. Photobucket went stupid again and hid all the http download image addresses. I do well with batteries, chargers and alternators but I don't seem to have a hat I can slip on to cover my cyber baldness.

Thus: No camera and a website that can do stuff I'll never consider but it cannot walk and chew gum. When I go home I promise lots of images of maroon batteries, a gray diesel pushing an ocre colored generator, my 4024 Trace repainted with Body Shootz and me dressed in a yellow rubber lab apron short sleeve wool shirt, gauntlet gloves, spash googles covered by a full face shield, and Freas in a quick draw holster.

The BORG is apart. Robbed the 2nd Cheapo and sold it as well and the proceeds went toward a 2nd MEGAWATT 40. Switching out the VISHAY 10-turn pots for micrometer scale pots and replacing the float PS with a 4.17 amp dial-a-yield using the Vishay. The 4-1/2 digital LED voltmeter AND a remote sense thermistor thermometer

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
Where is mexicowander'ers super box? Pictures?
This.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Where is mexicowander'ers super box? Pictures?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Reed,

The numbers don't seem to work for 1330 watts. 26a X 48v = 1260 watts and 90 X 14 = 1260
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Pnichols
We have a Meanwell SD-500L-48 DC-DC converter that converts our 48V battery bank to 12 V (with supposedly high efficiency) at supposedly 508 W capacity. Power comes from the six panels at 90 V nominal to Tristar MPPT-45. Our panels on roof of 5th wheel so there is about a 15 m path from most rear panel (30 V and 235 W) to controller. Panels are in series of 3.

Max power ever seen was 1330 which was 14 amps to controller and then 26 amps or so from controller to battery bank. A 12 V battery bank would have required an MPPT rated at 110 amps.

The controller is about 1 m from the battery bank and the Meanwell converter is about 20 cm from the battery bank (velcroed to one battery)
Reed and Elaine

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the mention
Just trying to help folks out as we all are

Took me a while to understand but it finally sank in
Some "Get It" Some don't and others NEVER will

Having fun installing several new IP cameras along with the dozen or more analog NTSC/PAL cameras around this place ........ always something to get done