Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Repower Adventure

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 1 of my 460 engine replacement.

This is a 460 Ford project with EEC IV, OBD I, speed density computer.
Tune and drivability will be addressed, if necessary, when the new engine is running.
I have been planning this upgrade for over 2 years.
The ol 460 will turn into a 528. Or for you metric fans 7.5l to 8.6l.
Old bore is 4.360. New bore is 4.420. Old stroke is 3.85. New stroke is 4.30
First the E4OD tranny gets removed and sent to the shop for rebuild and updates.

Didn't get a lot of pieces/parts removed today.
Here is a pic of the removed parts.
IE Drive shaft, ZF emergency brake, "Y" pipe and right header.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson
91 REPLIES 91

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Larry202br wrote:
๐Ÿ™‚ now, where's my like button?

Thanks Larry. We'll have to see if I can keep up with your oil burner now. HeHe

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Larry202br
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ now, where's my like button?
2006 Open Road 316 RLDS-5
2004 F-250 Diesel, short bed, SRW, Crew cab, 3.73 auto.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 38.

I suggest in a previous post that I should run out of holes and bolts at the same moment. I failed!
Guess I could blame it on Mikey. He's not here to defend himself. GRIN
In the center of the box are 3 bolts that seem to have no home. DARN!
The 4 bolts on the right are for the OEM lifting eyes, that no longer serve a purpose.
The left over hose clamps have been replaced with spring clamps, like the one in the center of the box.
Many cuss the spring clamps but with the proper tool, they are easy to work with.
No more loose heater hose clamps.

The hood is on and the wide band O2 sensor and meter are installed.
Tomorrow we go for a little drive about.
Let ya know how it turns out.
Ahhhh yes, I still need to get it down off the jack stands.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Report????
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
My Heart Felt Congrats on breathing the beast back to life!! I have shared the same exhilaration over several motorcycle and car engines. It's a hard to explain or describe feeling! You have done well Grasshopper!

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 37

Hu Raw!

The beast lives.
Fired it up about 11:00 AM today, for the 20 minute cam break-in.
No oil or coolant on the RV pad. No parts flying out in the yard.
Did have an exhaust leak. Minor Boo Boo. I forgot to screw the wide band O2 sensor in the new bung. DUH!
After plugging the hole with a 18mm spark plug, I fired it up again. It kicked back against the starter. The timing must be way advanced.
It won't idle on its own. I suspect the Idle Air Control.
I'll address the drivability issues tomorrow and report back.
Spent the rest of the day organizing my mess.
Hopefully the end of this project is in sight. I'm pooped

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 34-35

Got quite a bit accomplished today.
The front end is close to completion. Still have several hoses to hook up, batteries to install and bumper & hood to install.

I think I'm done in the fender wells.

Pretty tough working on the left side, unless you remove the brake booster and master cylinder.

I think the underside is complete.

Not much left in the nut & bolt box. Mostly body bolts & spacers.
Mikey is coming over Wednesday for some extra eyes and ears. Hopefully the old beast will come to life. We shall see.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 32

Today I installed the ZF emergency assembly, drive shaft, new starter and headers. Still have to install the "wide band' O2 sensor in the "Y" pipe and finish up the exhaust. That should just about take care of the bottom end.
Tomorrow is a day of rest, kind of? The DW and I will be driving the toad to a rally tomorrow morning and returning in the afternoon. She is secretary of our FMCA chapter. (Midwest Prairie Schooners) So her attendance is expected.

More to come
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 31

No much to report today. I spent the morning cleaning up the mountings of the PS & transmission oil coolers. Had to cut the mounting bolts to remove them, thanks to Fleetwood welding up some access openings.
After lunch I decided to finish up the transmission. IE wiring and shift linkage. To my surprise, the wiring harness connector didn't fit the new solenoid pack connector. Had to remove the oil pan and solenoid pack. The transmission shop apologized and exchanged the solenoid pack for the correct one and give me a new pan gasket. As it turns out Ford continued to use and older solenoid pack on the F53 chassis.
Now on to the next "gotcha".

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now I can sleep nights again.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 30

After a gentle nudge by Big Katuna, I sit out to correct my less than sanitary battery boxes.
I started with a pneumatic descaler and remover all the loose rust and scale. Then I applied Rust Reformer from Rust-Oleum. After the appropriate amount of time, I followed up with some rattle can black from the same company. The engine battery tray got the same treatment but with cold galvanizing as the top coat.

After the Rust Reformer.

After the black paint and cold galvanizing.

During the whole engine replacement process, I was noticing some cracked plastic vacuum lines that needed replacement.
The lines are color coded and the replacement is black. After a suggestion from a Bounder Buddy (He's a purdy smart feller), I purchased heat shrink tubing in various colors to label the replacement lines. Here is a pic of a red labeled line.

Stay tuned
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
PatrickA51 wrote:
It leaks more oil than it burns. Just like a Harley Davidson Marking it's Territory!

LOL........The 460 I just removed was doing the same. You would think a rear main seal and a timing cover seal would last more than 138,000 miles. GRIN
Maybe your 460 is actually a Detroit 2-cycle. Just slide a drip pan under it, every time you stop.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
PatrickA51 wrote:
Rich
You do good work. You want to rebuild my 1995 460 cid. in my 95 F250. or should I just buy a new Ram 2500 HD Laramie Cummins TD?

If I was a few years younger I would delight in bring another 460 back to life. But those 72 candles on my last birthday cake are taking its toll. I have the old 460 block out of the ol Bounder that still has many miles in it. I'll probably offer it on Craig's List when I get time.
If you do some serious towing, then I can see an oil burner I your future.

Richard

It leaks more oil than it burns. Just like a Harley Davidson Marking it's Territory!

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
PatrickA51 wrote:
Rich
You do good work. You want to rebuild my 1995 460 cid. in my 95 F250. or should I just buy a new Ram 2500 HD Laramie Cummins TD?

If I was a few years younger I would delight in bring another 460 back to life. But those 72 candles on my last birthday cake are taking its toll. I have the old 460 block out of the ol Bounder that still has many miles in it. I'll probably offer it on Craig's List when I get time.
If you do some serious towing, then I can see an oil burner I your future.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson