MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
5 REPLIES 5

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Bill 888 wrote:
It is a good idea, but the wording is too vague for me. If the starting point was 70% efficiency, a 10% increase is no big deal.

10% IS a big deal when there basically have been no improvement in alternator efficiency in many, MANY years.

You would be surprised how much the auto companies are willing to spend to get 1/2 MPG !

Wild_Bill_888
Explorer
Explorer
It is a good idea, but the wording is too vague for me. If the starting point was 70% efficiency, a 10% increase is no big deal.

If they said the overall efficiency is over 96 % from 50 to 90% of Rated power, that would be impressive.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a switching power supply. MOSFETS (we are scraping some cobwebs off here) share well, donโ€™t go into thermal runaway and have lower voltage drop than rectifiers. Sensitive to spurious base voltages but Iโ€™m guessing they have gotten better since the mid 80s. ๐Ÿ˜‰
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
A 10% increase in efficiency is pretty extraordinary. If I understand correctly, they are basically doing active rectification, rather than passive- turning it on for the positive wave and off for negative (and vice versa).

True, but this requires some IMHO "tricky" synchronization !

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
A 10% increase in efficiency is pretty extraordinary. If I understand correctly, they are basically doing active rectification, rather than passive- turning it on for the positive wave and off for negative (and vice versa).
-- Chris Bryant