cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remote start generators - no load at start?

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering picking up a remote start generator (something along the lines of a Champion 3400 watt). Reading the operation manual, it says that you cannot remote start the generator under load. Doesn't that entirely defeat the purpose of having a remote start? What's the point of starting it up with the remove and then having to go out and plug in the power shore cable? What are some of the ways of getting around this (maybe only plugging in the converter/charger with a wall switch on off until generator warms up?)
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter
20 REPLIES 20

MrWizard
i think that is for 'large' honda home/residence backup generators
that thing wold be hard wired to the generator behind your house
the one you use when the storm knocks out the utility power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious how the different ones also operate the choke. I see a youtube on the Honda 3000 wireless remote that says it does the choke automatically somehow. Seems like magic to me!

I was looking at this ad for a wire type (the poor guy hasn't sold it for months now--might be a reason for that) I can't figure out where you plug the RV in--it has a cable to the back of the unit, but where does the cable go to? The Rv or the gen? I can't figure this thing out at all. Is there a missing cable to get the shore cord to the Gen?

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/REMOTE-CONTROL-ENGINE-START-RUN_31623203
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

MrWizard
somebody who has been a member for 10yrs and has over 5000 posts
would seem this member is NOT an unknown audience

this is an RV forum and the reference in an electrical question regarding RVs has too mean something, besides the comments he made for the acronym

most likely meant to be funny, not a true question
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
EMS = Emergency Medical System? Ethyl MethaneSulfonate? Earthen Manure Storage?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Living under a rock? :W

No. Being disrespectful.

Using acronyms with a general, unknown audience is just rude.

Something else that they apparently don't teach in school.....but should.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
EMS = Emergency Medical System? Ethyl MethaneSulfonate? Earthen Manure Storage?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Living under a rock? :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Outside of specification volts per hertz is DEATH to an AC generator voltage regulator. So today's voltage regulators established 55 Hz is a minimum generator speed at which the regulator will force field a generator to maintain voltage.

The problem with timer based protection is that it does nothing to protect against underspeed. It is assumption based protection and assumption based protection is as hazardous as assumption based battery state of charge. Configuring a voltage regulator for a larger generator should include the Volts per Hz inherent protection of a voltage regulator design.

MrWizard
the champion has a time delay on
And a disconnect before off
Built in
But it is still a good idea to turn off the A/C before stopping and starting the generator

Your coffee pot and other resistance loads do not have the same effect as motors like compressors starting and stopping
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Gensets should NEVER have a load when starting. The easiest way to prevent this is to get a 30 amp auto transfer box and have that between the genset and your shore power connection. Granted, Transfer boxes should not be closed under load, but it is better to use a transfer box to prevent the load when starting the genset. Doug

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
As stated above, our Champion also has no issues having a load when using remote start function as there is a slight delay while ramping up to full power. I have a AC voltmeter continuously plugged into the genny and it takes a few seconds before power is delivered to the outlets. Having an onboard Onan as well nothing beats the convenience of hitting the Champion remote while still snuggled in bed, a few more winks and fresh coffee and a warm main living area awaits.

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, good to know, got the answer I was hoping for!
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flip main breaker for trailer until generator is spun up?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:

In this case, Electrical Management System. I guess it was redundant to say "EMS System."

Progressive Industries and Surge Guard are the two most common brands for RVs, at least until you get into really fancy custom setups with load shedding based on the incoming power supply's capability, automatic generator starting, etc. These units protect against such problems as too low or high voltage, miswired supplies, AC line frequency variations that are way out of spec, etc.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Example of EMS
agesilaus wrote: