cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New SunSaver 20L not working!

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed new SunSaver 20L. This seems to be a defective unit. If there's another possibility - I'm all ears!

Using multimeter, reading 19v from the single 85w PV panel. But the SunSaver status LED shows nothing (same as if no PV panel connected). Morningstar calls this 'Night' operating state - the status LED is off with "heartbeat" indication flickering ON (green) briefly every 5 seconds.

Therefore, no charging of the battery is happening.

Desperately seeking Comments/feedback. Thx!
33 REPLIES 33

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
I also received my new replacement 10A Sunsaver from Morningstar. Installed it yesterday and it is working properly. I am pleased with how Morningstar handled my issue but still wonder about their assembly quality. It seems they may be having more escaping defects.
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Probably used the procedure printed in the manual.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Do you see how he tested it? Might be useful to know.
Unfortunately no. It was tested in another room at the store.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you see how he tested it? Might be useful to know.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Good to hear the replacement is working as expected.

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
Update: Defective SunSaver was returned to dealer who tested and confirmed unit was indeed defective. Exchanged for another identical SunSaver model. Now all good - working A-OK!

Moral of this story - when buying in store - have the merchant test and demonstrate the product functions 100%. In our case, it was necessary to drive 60+ miles on a bad road to obtain an exchange unit and pretty much used up an entire day we would rather have spent on the beach! But we are thankful the dealer was cooperative and helpful getting us a new unit.

Gotta wonder about Morningstar's QC. :h

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
dcClark should have had it suggested that he start a new thread with his problem. We now have multiple posters responding to that issue and not to the OP's consideration.

unbob,
If you have everything correctly connected and have disconnected the controller to release and reset any fault minders in the controller, you could be fairly certain that your controller is not operational. I have a different Morningstar controller but the LED's are always active when connected to battery power. BTW, you may wish to put a fuse between the controller and battery. Wire smells awful when it burns.
Thanks westend! Re a fuse holder between battery and controller - it would also make it much easier to disconnect battery from controller!

We will be returning the unit to dealer today for exchange. However, this being Mexico and the dealer only speaking Espaรฑol it may difficult to do.:(

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
dcClark should have had it suggested that he start a new thread with his problem. We now have multiple posters responding to that issue and not to the OP's consideration.

unbob,
If you have everything correctly connected and have disconnected the controller to release and reset any fault minders in the controller, you could be fairly certain that your controller is not operational. I have a different Morningstar controller but the LED's are always active when connected to battery power. BTW, you may wish to put a fuse between the controller and battery. Wire smells awful when it burns.

My intent in posting the issue with my SunSaver controller was not to solicit inputs for a solution as I pointed out that I had discussed this issue with Morningstar tech support and they were sending me a new controller. The main point of my post was that Morningstar may be having product quality issues in newly assembled products.
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

westend
Explorer
Explorer

unbob,
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Johnny G1 wrote:
Problem was only there with the truck running or not
...so, the problem was there all the time.
Problem went away after I disconected the feed line from the truck to camper.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
Problem was only there with the truck running or not
...so, the problem was there all the time.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Johnny G1 wrote:
...I had a charge line from my truck alternator to charge my camper batteries...The problem showed up when I had park and shut off my truck
The truck should have a relay which only connects the charge line when the engine is running. That prevents the truck battery from being drained if the connection were to be left in place when parking or camping.
Problem was only there with the truck running or not, quite familiar with relay's and such, then why did it work properly when truck line was disconected??? almost looks like it didn't like charge coming from both?? No problem with my mh, alternator charging along with solar panels????
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
...I had a charge line from my truck alternator to charge my camper batteries...The problem showed up when I had park and shut off my truck
The truck should have a relay which only connects the charge line when the engine is running. That prevents the truck battery from being drained if the connection were to be left in place when parking or camping.

MrWizard
Direct charge line? No relay, no isolator?
You were feeding the alternator and the truck battery
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s