cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Observation of battery behavior

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
With all this talk of battery monitors, it reminded me of some behavior I observed a few months ago and possibly some justification for having one. I had a problem where one of the battery bank interconnect cables had partially pulled out of the lug. Of course, I didn't know this at the time. What got me curious was that the amps into the batteries on the Victron monitor were fluctuating (converter was always putting out a fraction of an amp). It doesn't normally do that. When the batts are full, the meter is at a steady zero amps. There might be an occasional blip but normally steady. After a few days of noticing it, I opened the battery compartment and checked all the cables. Found one that was pulled out from the lug a bit. Grabbed a spare wire for confirmation and sure enough the converter went into bulk. Interestingly only one pair was low, the other was full. Ended up having to use the manual charger (it has a 6V setting) to get the individual batteries back to full. Even charging as one pair left one 6V lower than the other.
5 REPLIES 5

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Pulled out? Musta been some kinda pull force to break a properly soldered lug!

Yeah, I'm pulling your chain Mena ๐Ÿ™‚
:B ๐Ÿ˜‰

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled out? Musta been some kinda pull force to break a properly soldered lug!

Yeah, I'm pulling your chain Mena ๐Ÿ™‚

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
KendallP wrote:
Hmm. That DOES sound pretty weird.

Is it safe to ASSume that the charging power was wired with positive on one pair and negative on the other?
That is correct good sir. I'm using the wiring configuration here:

SCVJeff wrote:
Had that exact problem with the jumper that ties in the 2nd set of 6v. The difference was 1/100v, maybe a little more, don't remember. But it was enough over time to make a noticeable difference in the SG of that battery set, and that's what caused me to pull out the 4.5 digit Fluke and poke around.
Always good to have some confirmation. I'm betting I would've seen the same thing if I had let the batts wear off the surface charge.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Had that exact problem with the jumper that ties in the 2nd set of 6v. The difference was 1/100v, maybe a little more, don't remember. But it was enough over time to make a noticeable difference in the SG of that battery set, and that's what caused me to pull out the 4.5 digit Fluke and poke around.

Another factory wedge (as opposed to swedge) crimp bites the dust.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm. That DOES sound pretty weird.

Is it safe to ASSume that the charging power was wired with positive on one pair and negative on the other?
Cheers,
Kendall