cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining and installing larger Onan generator.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Revolution is now 9 years old. It appears we will have it for life.
It has a 7500 kw Onan diesel generator, in the green case up under the cab area. How difficult is it to change it out for a 10,000 kw, or even 15,000.
Thinking off looking at the four house battery situation and increasing to six or even 8, on slide out tray. Convert the whole coach to all electric among other things.
How much could it cost and how about making it a drop down or lever down unit to be worked on? Size difference?
anything else need changing?
Hopefully can find a the larger Onan salvaged from a newer Mh and save some money?
15 REPLIES 15

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Is your generator not working right, or just thinking that you might need more power to run a electric range or other things in the re-designed all electric coach?

Going to 8 batteries will not significantly increase the need for a larger generator. It might change it from 800 charging watts to about 1,200 watts. But why carry all that weight? Batteries are expensive to move around the country. Each golf cart battery can hold about 1,000 watts and will weigh in around 67 pounds.

If you are changing from gas refrigerator to electric, you might need to increase to about 660 AH capacity, and that will take 6 of the 220 amp hour golf cart batteries (each pair is 220 AH at 12 volts), and you can run a decent 1,000 - 2,000 watt pure sine wave inverter from that, and run the refrigerator as well as other loads.

My suggestion is fill the roof with solar panels, and then not need to recharge during the day at all, and hopefully collect about 200 AH daily from the panels. SunElec.com sells solar panels around $1 per rated watt. If you can fit 5 or 6 solar panels around 100 to 150 watts each on your roof, then you can camp days without needing to run the generator - except while running the rooftop A/C unit(s).

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com