cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Older Norcold fridge issue

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
The fridge in daughter and son-in-law's '98 Nash TT is on the fritz after working well just a couple months ago. Freezer is 4 degrees, but the fridge is in the 50's on both AC and gas. No ice buildup between top and bottom to impede airflow. We pulled the vent cap off and the coils look reasonably clean. Plenty of hot air up through the vent, though we didn't check the flue itself. We pulled the box around the burner and cleaned out some dirt and junk from there, but it wasn't affecting the flame. We used some canned air to blow off what we could around the burner.

All that said, should he bite the bullet and put in a new fridge or would one of the "Amish" replacement cooling units be a better choice. Almost double the cost for a new fridge. Are newer units better? How hard is it to swap out the cooling unit as a DIY project?

Thanks,
Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
16 REPLIES 16

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same issue with a 2006 Dometic. Finally leaked all the ammonia. Been researching and looking on sales forums. Seems having a local shop rebuild with the Amish replacement is the best bet, and most cost effective. You can buy a used fridge for about the same as having someone rebuild one. If I can find a decent used one I might go that route, but hate to pay $1500 then have it die in 6 months or even 2 years.

Not going the DC route, almost the same cost, but then you have to upgrade batteries, solar, etc. I boondock too much and just want a fridge to run without killing my batteries, or even needing to run the gen every day. There is not a cost advantage of DC over a compressor fridge from what I can see.

Hope you find a good repair shop.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd go 12 volt electric.

Next choice new cooling unit from the so called Amish. It can be diy
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.