cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oops! Water Heater Issues

craig_evans
Explorer
Explorer
For some unknown reason, I flipped on the switch for my winterized water heater while I was preparing our Roadtrek for our trip south and walked out of the van.
When I came back, I noticed the switch in the on position with no indicator light showing. I immediately turned it off, and seeing the light was labelled 'reset', I tried to push it, slide it, whatever, to remedy- with no results. I next checked the fuses, which seemed fine.
Next I referred to the manual.
The first safety warning notes it is IMPERATIVE that the water heater be filled or may result in damage.

Does anyone know what I may be looking at for repairs? Mine is a Suburban SW6D series
Thanks in advance
15 REPLIES 15

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi neighbour, welcome.

When thereโ€™s no liquid in the heater the element quickly overheats and burns out. Iโ€™d be surprised if anything else would happen, the element overheats VERY quickly.

Itโ€™s possible the heat could affect other components if thereโ€™s plastic or something close by, unfortunately thereโ€™s no way to tell if itโ€™s still water tight without pressurizing it. If you have a small compressor you could try putting 35 psi to it and see if it holds pressure or leaks down.