Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oven burner problem

Santaflow
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I just got a rv ford econoline 90.

I filled the gas tank and try the furnance. Water heater works good, stove also but im haven problems with the oven.

I put it in pilot mode and use a ligter to ignite it. Works good, flame doesnt look to big. I dont see a thermocupula, instead i see a small kind of thetmocupula but I think is far from the light. When i put higher temperature in order to run the oven ot makes a sound and the light get bigger but not much.

I waited but nothing happens. How should i proceed??

My oven is a wedgegood brand model r1740.

By other way i saw that there is a metal thing in the back of the oven but kind of loose. I checked on the guide and looks like the thermostato.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

Santaflow
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Im pretty sure mine one is the second one.

There is any way to check if its the sensing bulb? Like putting the lighter on it?

With no doubt my problem is that, safety valve doesnt allow the gas to flow for any reason.

Thanks.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are at least a couple different designs of oven control systems for gas RV ovens. Most or all new ones work with a fairly typical pilot light setup similar to most other gas appliances with pilot lights, i.e. the pilot heats a thermocouple which controls the gas flow to it and, along with a thermostat, to the main burner. On these, you do have to hold in the control for several seconds to light the pilot, until the thermocouple gets warm enough to allow things to stay lit on its own. I don't think this is the system your oven has, though.

The other system I'm aware of uses two valves, a themostatic valve and a safety valve. On this, the pilot light when no heat is required is a tiny little flame, not much larger than a pin head, and the amount of gas needed for it to burn flows whenever the pilot is on (with no thermocouple to shut it off). When heat is required, the thermostatic valve does two things: it increases the gas flow to the pilot, making the flame grow, and allows gas to flow to the safety valve. The safety valve has a sensor bulb near the pilot flame, and the larger pilot flame warms this sensor bulb up and causes the safety valve to open and let the gas flow to the main burner. When the correct temperature has been reached, the thermostatic valve closes the gas flow to the safety valve (and burner) and shuts the pilot back to its small flame size, and soon thereafter the safety valve closes as its sensing bulb cools down.

It sounds as though your thermostatic valve is working properly, but the safety valve is not opening, either because it's defective, because the sensing bulb for it is not positioned properly, or because you aren't waiting long enough (it shouldn't take too long to open, though--no more than perhaps 30 seconds I'd guess, and probably less). If it's a defective safety valve, you may well find that replacements are not available new any longer as it may use a mercury bulb for its sensing element, in which case your best bet may be to find a used one...or replace the whole range with a new range.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a PDF you need to go down to about paghe 50-55 to find the Range and oven.

I did not find what I was looking for in the manual

This is from memory, which I believe to be soild

YOu turn to PILOT push. light the pilot and hold for 1 mintue or more. Then release and turn to like 350

The pilot is a small flame. think candle, the main burner is a larde OVAL or two lines runs the "Depth" of the oven (From back to front) and should light up. the flame will "Travel" at first (from one end to the other) this burner should cycle to maintain heat.

The probe (Thermocouple) inside the oven is just what you think it is
The pilot sensor should be in the area of the flame of the pilot it is a thermocouple generating about 0.480 volts when hot and the current that sends through a magnet in the valve assembly to lock things "ON"

finally... I found mine to be rather far off so use an oven thermometer please.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times