cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please Review/Comment on my proposed solar install

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
I am presently mounting two solar panels on my truck camper roof, wiring them in series to a controller, and then to two deep cycle batteries (each 105 A-Hr). I plan on putting a 15 Amp fuse between the solar panels and the controller and a 30 amp fuse between the controller and the batteries.

I have read so many threads on RV.Net and other forums that I am somewhat confused and have very low confidence in what I am doing. So my question is: โ€œIs this reasonable?โ€ Or โ€œHave I made a bad wiring decision?โ€

Two Kyocera KD140SX panels wired in series. Each panel:
Rated Power: 140 watts
Open circuit Voltage: 22.1vDC
Short circuit current: 8.68 amps
Voltage at load: 17.7vDC
Current at load: 7.91 amps
Factory installed bypass diodes: 8

One Blue Sky Energy โ€“ Solar Boost 3000i Controller
Nominal Battery voltage: 12vDC
Automatic Output Current Limit: 30.0A with 36 cell PV and 22.0A with 60 cell PV input
Max Isc/Power: 24A/400watt and 11.8A/290watt
Max Battery & PV Voltage: 50.0vDC (Recommend max PV Voc <40.0vDC)

All comments are gratefully appreciated.
LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side
7 REPLIES 7

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
CJW8 wrote:
Don says you may not want to bother with MPPT but I disagree. Why throw away 10-15% of your solar production by not going MPPT?

X2, MPPT will dynamically optimize harvest by lowering the voltage while maximizing the current... With battery recovery it's all about current - voltage is the slave...

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
CJW8 wrote:
Don says you may not want to bother with MPPT but I disagree. Why throw away 10-15% of your solar production by not going MPPT?

Homeless,

If the controller cannot handle the combined Voc of the two 12v panels in series, but only in parallel, then there is very little voltage (Vmp) for the mppt to work with.

The Tracer BN Series mppt's have a 150v Voc input rating, which easily handles 12v panels in series.

Tracer 30a mppt c/w remote monitor

If there is room, I would go with 24v panels for a rooftop install... for considerably more wattage. You can run them in series during cool cloudy weather, (when Vmp is higher and Imp is lower); and in parallel during hot sunny weather, (when Vmp is lower, but Imp is higher).

12v panels are smaller and lighter, and thus make for a good portable pwm system.

I use these for "fusing" and switching:

high amp audio c.b's

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
I use a fuse between my panels and controller just to have a off switch. I figured it was easier to wire in a spade fuse holder then mess with a switch. Your install might very but if you disconnect the batteries or need to do some work with the batteries and cables your solar panels will keep things charge unless you cover the panels or unhook them from the controller so I made it easy as all I have to do is pull the spade fuse from the holder which is next to the controller.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

You may wish to not bother with an mppt controller. I also would not fuse between panels and controller, but I would have a switch.

I would use a controller that has a temperature compensation probe that goes to the battery bank.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Manual page 8 says max 40 Voc so you need those panels in parallel or you are at 44.2 volts. Or a different controller?
MC4 parallel connectors will make this easy. (I assume panels have MC4)
No fuse needed from panel to controller. I would have 40 amp fuse close to battery and at least #6 wire for battery connection.

smkettner,
I will wire panels in parallel and drop the fuse between the panel and the controller. These panels have a terminal strip mounted on the bottom, no MC4 connectors. I will use a 40 amp fuse at the battery and 4 gage wire which I have left over from another project.

Thank you for your comments.
LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Manual page 8 says max 40 Voc so you need those panels in parallel or you are at 44.2 volts. Or a different controller?
MC4 parallel connectors will make this easy. (I assume panels have MC4)

No fuse needed from panel to controller. I would have 40 amp fuse close to battery and at least #6 wire for battery connection.