cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Powerking Towmax ST235/80R16 Tire Failure

gkchevy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 2 of these tires blow out in a distance of approximately 150 miles of each other.

The first blew and caused $2000 in damage to my 2011 Keystone Cougar 328QBS ... the second happened the day I picked up the trailer from the dealership from being repaired and caused another ~$2000 in damage ... Both tread separation/blowouts occurred with a 0111 DOT Code manufacturing date. both at a travel speed of approximately 60 mph ... both inflated to 80 PSI.

Dynamic Tire in Canada paid for the repairs on the first incident, But are acting like they are refusing to pay for the second incident.

I have found 31 reported cases on the NHTSA website regarding these Powerking Towmax tires
Has anybody else had issues with these tires
2005 GMC 2500HD D/A 6.0 3.73 CC SB 4x4 running Schaeffer Synthetic Lubricants from Axle to Axle.
2011 Keystone Cougar 328QBS
2001 Mako 171
www.amatuber.com
23 REPLIES 23

esfd243
Explorer
Explorer
We just had our first tire failure Saturday night. Towmax Tire 235/80 r16.
Less then 6000 miles on these tires showing manufactured date of 22/09.

Just filed a claim with Dynamax I believe in Canada but have not heard back yet. Also went and had an estimate to repair skirting, underbelly, insulation and tire replacement. I wont have this email until tomorrow.
Mike, Dawn & Mallori
2016 Hemisphere 368RLBH
2012 Chevy 2500 HD D/A 3.73

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
FastEagle

jadatis
Explorer
Explorer
gkchevy wrote:
Also very true ... But on this given occurrence I traveled approx 500 feet. so heat build up would be minimal

also given an approximate Loaded trailer weight of 10,500 lbs (9210lbs curb weight)... and a tongue wight of ~1520 lbs that leaves an approximate axle load of 9000 lbs / 4 tires is roughly 2250 per tire ... which leaves about a 1200 lbs of tolerance, so taking on the extra weight from a flat tire for ~500 feet shouldn't be an issue.

I talked with a Tire expert/engineer. and he tells me that the unflat tire is in fact taking a majority of the weight given the close proximity of the two tires ... vs. a car with a flat tire whos tires are spread out ... the opposite tire will become unloaded.

Also it could be that your tonge weight is 1000 lbs so the four tires bare 9500lbs and the loads are unequally devided.
In another topic one has weighed and it apeared to be 2800 heviรซst and 1900 on the lightest tire. the weightdifferences where crossed on front and rear axle.So the 2 blewing tires can also be left front and right rear.
Then the 3500lbs of your tires then 9500 lbs devided by 4 gives 2375 average , say 2 tires 2600lbs and the other 2 2150 lbs.
Then the reduction of 20% of 3500 brings maximum load at wich a deflection that is absolutely save for the tire is 2800.
Then I even calculate with a reserve to that of 10% so 2600 becomes 2860. so a pressue of 80 psi is yust enaugh, if you want the tires to last longer then 5 years.

So if you ever do a 4 or 5 point weighing ( so also tonge-weight, you could be surprised of the load-division, and the higher weight then you estimate.

Then if the most loaded tire blows and the weighs are crossed, the other tire on that side gies from 2150 to 4950 lbs wich it can probably yust stand for the short distance at the verry low speed.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My last two tires that failed were made in MX ๐Ÿ˜‰
Denman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe we can start a fund. End up with the entire Chinese Politburo seated inside a trailer being towed at 80 mph using their own tires. Call it "Beijing to Shanghai Official Chinese Tire Confidence Demonstration".

gkchevy
Explorer
Explorer
Also very true ... But on this given occurrence I traveled approx 500 feet. so heat build up would be minimal

also given an approximate Loaded trailer weight of 10,500 lbs (9210lbs curb weight)... and a tongue wight of ~1520 lbs that leaves an approximate axle load of 9000 lbs / 4 tires is roughly 2250 per tire ... which leaves about a 1200 lbs of tolerance, so taking on the extra weight from a flat tire for ~500 feet shouldn't be an issue.

I talked with a Tire expert/engineer. and he tells me that the unflat tire is in fact taking a majority of the weight given the close proximity of the two tires ... vs. a car with a flat tire whos tires are spread out ... the opposite tire will become unloaded.
2005 GMC 2500HD D/A 6.0 3.73 CC SB 4x4 running Schaeffer Synthetic Lubricants from Axle to Axle.
2001 Mako 171
www.amatuber.com

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Speed bump or ramp does not build heat like running a few miles on a single vs double.

gkchevy
Explorer
Explorer
I see what your saying ... but by that logic would I not need to replace the tires every time I drive over a speed bump in a camp ground ... Because in theory you are placing similar weight on the tire that's on the speed bump than the tire that's not on the speed bump. Or use of those tire ramps that Camping world sells to help you in a tire change.
I saw one of those in action the other day ... those look seriously dangerous! the tire that was resting on it ... DID look like it wanted to pop.
2001 Mako 171
www.amatuber.com

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
if you have another blow out, be sure to replace both tires on that side. The one that didnt blow got hammered with the weight that both were supposed to carry.

It's likely to be a reason the tire manuf. wont pay for the second blowout if it was the same side.

gkchevy
Explorer
Explorer
To those that asked I have replaced with Carlisle ST235/80R16 E1's.
Perhaps I should have gone with a Hankook 14 ply? (Per my dads recommendation - a Hot shot truck driver

But i have had good luck in the past with Carlisle's

Approximate cost from discount tire (4 tires)(without road hazard warranty) $765 I had replaced the 5th on the first blow out ... I want to say it was $193 WITH the warranty
2001 Mako 171
www.amatuber.com

jadatis
Explorer
Explorer
gkchevy wrote:
I have had 2 of these tires blow out in a distance of approximately 150 miles of each other.

The first blew and caused $2000 in damage to my 2011 Keystone Cougar 328QBS ... the second happened the day I picked up the trailer from the dealership from being repaired and caused another ~$2000 in damage ... Both tread separation/blowouts occurred with a 0111 DOT Code manufacturing date. both at a travel speed of approximately 60 mph ... both inflated to 80 PSI.

Dynamic Tire in Canada paid for the repairs on the first incident, But are acting like they are refusing to pay for the second incident.

I have found 31 reported cases on the NHTSA website regarding these Powerking Towmax tires

ST tires are calculated in their maximum load for lower speed, so more deflection of the tyre is allowed, then an LT tire.
Once calculated it from 2 same sises ST and LT to be about 15% more maximum loadd then a LT tyre of same sises and reference-pressure ( that 80 psi of your tyres).
This means that the deflection is when filled with 80 psi to the limits.
A little overloading on one tire, or little more speed then 65m/h, can bring the deflection over the border where tire damage begins. Can result in sidewal rupture or treath coming loose by the to much bending of the sidewall.

So its best to treath the ST tire as it where a LT tire, so give it the same deflection as an LT would have.
so devide the maximum load by 1.15 to get the maximum load an LT tyre would have. Then in case of tandem axle treath it as an dual load tire so reduce 7.5% of the new calculated maximum load. This together would mean reduce by 20% the maximum load.
Best is then to calculate the needed pressure with that lower maximum load and seperate tyre loads of 4 point weighing in the condition you ride it. Probalbly the outcome will be higher then 80 psi , otherwise your old tires would not get damaged.

If then the needed pressure goes over the Pr of yours 80 psi it is allowed for LT tyres up to 10 psi extra ( so 90psi) says article of goodyear, but tire-rack writes,it is also allowed for ST tires.
Tire-rack to some forum people in the tire business, tough is not such a trusted party, but them writing this will not come out of the blue , is my opinion. Still trying to get comfirmation of a tire-maker trusted by people here ( so no chinese).

My opinion is that you would have gotten the same problemm with same sises and Pr ST tires of a trusted brand, and higher used pressure, wich has to be calculated right , prefents the tire-damage, you builded up in that 1 or 2 years they are under .

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Jbechtoldt wrote:
http://forums.goodsamclub.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27259750.cfm

Here's some additional information I posted last week on the PowerKing failures I had... This is the 1st time I've tried a link so I hope it works.

Live link
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I had a blow out this summer - going 50mph on an uphill climb. Tire pressure was correct, but it split from rim to rim.

When we pulled into Les Schwab Tires in Shasta, CA the trailer was jacked up and the mechanic spun the tires. The outside (facing outward) side walls were fine, the back of my tires were bumps and bulges all over - which I couldn't/didn't see from the outside when I pulled the tires and greased the bearings before the trip. If I had seen it before, I could have gone through the hassle of working with the manufacturer (Keystone) to get the tires swapped as a warranty issue.

All four tires had the same defect and I replaced all four while I was there. I did try to replace them with LT's but they wouldn't do it for some "insurance" reason. If I wanted to move the trailer off their property and bring the tires up to them one at a time they would have done the swap. I opted for the ST's because I was on a trip and needed to get somewhere that night.

That being said, my previous TT had the Towmax tires and as long as they were inflated correctly, I didn't have any issues.

I learned a valuable lesson - how to check the tires for manufacturer defects even though they were brand new.

Last item. Get your tires balanced. Since the new ones are on, when I brake, I don't feel that "vibration" I felt in the past. Beside the longevity of your bearings the lack of vibration is a great thing!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
gkchevy wrote:

I had 20K miles and 3 years on my towmax 225/75-15's when I replaced them. still had some good tread, but was getting close to needing new tires before a trip and discount tire had a sale on Maxxis.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!