cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem with AGM Batteries

La_Gasser
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Jayco Seismic Wave Toy Hauler with the original 2 Interstate AGM batteries which are now 4 1/2 years old. It seems that the batteries are not holding their charge as long when not plugged into shore power. I've had it off shore power for 1 day with the Battery Cutoff switch not on, meaning batteries are still connected. Volt Meter shows around 11 volts, but when you turn the Battery Cutoff switch on, the reading is 12.5 volt or approx 80%. If you activate the landing gear switch while the Battery Cutoff switch is on, the reading goes from the 12.5 down to around 10.7 volts. Seems to me that the batteries are just holding a surface charge when at rest, but when you put a load on them, they are shot. Does that seem right to y'all? Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

La_Gasser
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it has the Charge Wizard. After I installed the new batteries, the charge rate was in the Normal Mode of 13.6, but now it's in the Storage Mode of 13.2. Boost Mode would be in the 14.6 range. I had the 2 old Interstate batteries load tested today at Sam's when I returned them for the Core Charge credit and both failed the test. They had a surface charge only. Hopefully these will last longer than 4 1/2 years. Time will tell. Thanks for all the info provided.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
La Gasser wrote:
Converter is the factory Progressive Dynamics Model PD4590K 90amp unit. Connections have been maintained clean. When on shore power, meter shows in the 14.4 to 14.6 range initially, then reduces to the 13.2 to 13.4 range when charging so that appears ok. I also had Lifeline AGM batteries that were over 8 years old when I sold the previous trailer, so am disappointed with the life of these Interstate batteries, but it could be Jayco issue more than a battery issue. Will probably replace both with Duracell AGM's from Sam's Club. I've had good luck with their batteries in vehicles and my boat.

Does your PD converter have the Charge Wizard?
I didnโ€™t look up the model and maybe all the newer ones do, but if not, itโ€™ll just cook the batteries. The charge Wizard turns the converter into a smart charger.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had flooded batteries last as long as the Lifelines. After 7 years I replaced mine only because I felt I had my money's worth and did not want an issue with traveling. I probably should have done a reconditioning cycle and used them for years longer.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing.... Most Lead acid batteries want to charge at no more than 30% of C/20 (For a group 27 that means about 29 amps)

Lifeline AGM's are more or less unique in that want to eat faster than that.

The AGMs I had (in my prior post) were made in the USA
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

La_Gasser
Explorer
Explorer
Update - replaced the Interstate AGM's with Duracell AGM's from Sam's yesterday. All seems ok at this point. It appears that one of the old batteries was bad. I'll confirm that tomorrow when I return them to Sam's for the Core Charge credit. I did notice that the old Interstate batteries were made in China, like most things we buy these days. The trailer is almost always plugged into shore power either at home or at the campground. So the original batteries were probably never under 80% much less run dead. I've verified that the converter can charge AGM's and it is working as per the manual. The dealer did install the AGM's at my request at the time of purchase.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Lumping garbage Chinese AGM BATTERIES with a good quality AGM is the same thing as lumping garbage grade wet batteries with Rolls & Surrette batteries. "These Ginzu knives are awful. Buck knives must be garbage too because they are knives after all. RIGHT?
As far as I know Lifeline Full River and Odyssey make decent AGM Batteries. Only a handful of flooded battery manufacturers make products worthy of note.
It's the same with clothing. I did not pay the price for a young goose down comforter. So it's heavy and seems to have the warmth of an ostrich or chicken feather comforter. I am not disparaging "down" for my I'll choice.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
La Gasser wrote:
Converter is the factory Progressive Dynamics Model PD4590K 90amp unit. Connections have been maintained clean. When on shore power, meter shows in the 14.4 to 14.6 range initially, then reduces to the 13.2 to 13.4 range when charging so that appears ok. I also had Lifeline AGM batteries that were over 8 years old when I sold the previous trailer, so am disappointed with the life of these Interstate batteries, but it could be Jayco issue more than a battery issue. Will probably replace both with Duracell AGM's from Sam's Club. I've had good luck with their batteries in vehicles and my boat.
Looks good. Batteries are just shot.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
As you probably know, Jayco did not install the Batteries. The selling dealer did. Jayco does not supply towable batteries. Now, AGM Interstate are good batteries. BUT, are you stating that a NO TIME in 4 1/2 years you never let the batteries go completely dead? Letting a AGM battery go dead, it will never return to its full capacity. Also, a LOT of Dealer's and Service Centers are ignorant of the conditions for installing AGM and now Lithium batteries. You need to make sure your RV charging system is capable of charging AGM's or Lithium correctly. Just get the manual for your Converter and it will state if it is correct for AGM's without a modification. Most Converter's are capable of charging AGM's correctly. Doug

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My AGMs always self-discharged much slower than wets.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
the MYTH: AGM's last longer than properly maintained Flooded wet cells
The Truth: AGM's last longer than Flooded wet that are NOT maintained properly.
But the reviews compared to Well maintained are mixed.

I had two. independent 12 volt systems in my Rig for a period
one was AGM. they were the fastest to die
the other was a mix of Flooded wet and older Maintenance Free (Wet)

The AGM's were purchased and installed with the RV was around 11 months. at least one of the maintenance free was older than the RV and all of them outlasted the AGMs

Main (OEM interstate Flooded wet lasted 9 years.

Now I said reviews are mixed
Helped a man with a dead starting battery
His was a Die-Hard (Always died quickly for me) but his was an AGM 12 years old.

7-10 is average.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

La_Gasser
Explorer
Explorer

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no knowledge of Interstate batteries but my Lifeline AGM batteries would typically last 7-10 years with reasonable care.

You have nothing to lose by trying a conditioning/equalization cycle. That is typically about 15.5 volts for 8 hours. If that doesn't fix the issue they are toast.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
At 4 1/2 years old I would not be worried about meter readings. Time to replace the batteries with new and have peace of mind while camping. JMHO

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Have you cleaned and tightened the connections?
I agree, if you have a factory converter it's probably not taking very good care of your batteries. I would separate them and test individually. One may be bad and the other okay. The problem with that is you don't want a new battery mixed with a 4 year old battery so you still would want to replace them both.