cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Tank Pigtail Blew Off. Is there A Good Brand?

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
OK so I get back from a long trip with our 1 1/2 year old TT. A Forest River product. Notice a loud hissing when walking by the front. Find that one of my propane pigtails has blown off about 1/2 inch on the large had tighten end. I have the plastic tank cover to protect them. My son says that his 1 year old Forest River TT had both blow out. My 5ver is 8 years old and never had a problem. In fact in my whole history of campers and trailers and Bar-B-Ques I have never had this problem. Is Forest River buying Chinese junk or what? ---- Anyway, can anyone suggest a good quality brand to buy????? Does anyone make a quality RV product anymore?
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS
9 REPLIES 9

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
mobeewan wrote:

I went through 7 of these pigtails including the two that came with the trailer before having a local industrial hose and fitting supplier make 2 new hoses for me.

Are you saying five out of five Cavagna brand pigtail replacements were defective?

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
Check out MB Sturgis https://mbsturgis.com/rv-propane-hoses-sturgi-stays-quick-disconnects-regulators.html The hoses that came with my Sturgi-Stay QD (quick disconnect) extend-a-stay were some of the best built ones I have seen.

FYI ----- I just took off the bad line and it has MB STURGIS printed on the rubber tubing. So I'll stay away from replacing with that brand.
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Check out MB Sturgis https://mbsturgis.com/rv-propane-hoses-sturgi-stays-quick-disconnects-regulators.html The hoses that came with my Sturgi-Stay QD (quick disconnect) extend-a-stay were some of the best built ones I have seen.

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:

I went through 7 of these pigtails including the two that came with the trailer before having a local industrial hose and fitting supplier make 2 new hoses for me.

I had a continual problem with leakage between the hose and the hose barb on the crimped end fittings. During winter camping I only had 2 of the original 30 lb propane cylinders that came with the trailer. My alternate cylinders were 20 lb. Part of the problem was with cold-weather camping the hoses were extremely stiff. When switching to a different size cylinder the hose had a tendency to turn slightly on the barb since it was too stiff to flex enough without turning. Eventually they would leak.

As a permanent fix I purchased 2 green Acme nut x male pipe thread fittings from a propane supplier. I then had an industrial hose supplier manufacturer 2 hose assemblies for me consisting of a heavier hose that was 1/4 ID rated for propane use and able to withstand over 350 pounds of pressure. I had them install a female pipe thread connection on one end and a 45 degree flared female swivel nut fitting on the other end. Instead of crimp fittings on the hoses I wanted to use fittings that had threaded collars to secure the hoses but they were going to cost about $80 each. They guaranteed that their crimped fittings wouldn't leak. They've helped me with a special hose assembly for a truck I used to own and I've been dealing with them for years and trust them so I went with the crimped fittings they recommended. I also purchased 2 straight male pipe thread by male 45ยฐ flared fittings and two 45 degree male by female pipe thread elbows from them I needed to complete the connections.

I removed the male pipe thread by reverse flare fittings that were screwed into the regulator connections for the hoses and replaced them with the 45 degree elbows to get the correct angle needed for the new shorter hoses. I added the two straight male pipe thread by male 45 degree flared fittings to each of the elbows. I then added the Acme nuts to the two hoses then connected the two hoses to the 45 degree flared fittings. No more leaks.

The new hoses are heavier and shorter than the originals with a larger outer diameter. The cut length of the new hose before assembly was about 7 to 8 inches. When using the shorter 20lb cylinder I can loosen the 45 degree flare nut to let the hose rotate as needed to connect to the shorter tank and then retighten the nut.

Wow, thanks for sharing your fix with us. I definitely will talk to our local bulk propane operations. --- But my point is since this is the first time in 9 rigs and 45 years of rving that this has happened to me, there must be over the counter brands put together better than others.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer

I had a continual problem with leakage between the hose and the hose barb on the crimped end fittings. During winter camping I only had 2 of the original 30 lb propane cylinders that came with the trailer. My alternate cylinders were 20 lb. Part of the problem was with cold-weather camping the hoses were extremely stiff. When switching to a different size cylinder the hose had a tendency to turn slightly on the barb since it was too stiff to flex enough without turning. Eventually they would leak.

As a permanent fix I purchased 2 green Acme nut x male pipe thread fittings from a propane supplier. I then had an industrial hose supplier manufacturer 2 hose assemblies for me consisting of a heavier hose that was 1/4 ID rated for propane use and able to withstand over 350 pounds of pressure. I had them install a female pipe thread connection on one end and a 45 degree flared female swivel nut fitting on the other end. Instead of crimp fittings on the hoses I wanted to use fittings that had threaded collars to secure the hoses but they were going to cost about $80 each. They guaranteed that their crimped fittings wouldn't leak. They've helped me with a special hose assembly for a truck I used to own and I've been dealing with them for years and trust them so I went with the crimped fittings they recommended. I also purchased 2 straight male pipe thread by male 45ยฐ flared fittings and two 45 degree male by female pipe thread elbows from them I needed to complete the connections.

I removed the male pipe thread by reverse flare fittings that were screwed into the regulator connections for the hoses and replaced them with the 45 degree elbows to get the correct angle needed for the new shorter hoses. I added the two straight male pipe thread by male 45 degree flared fittings to each of the elbows. I then added the Acme nuts to the two hoses then connected the two hoses to the 45 degree flared fittings. No more leaks.

The new hoses are heavier and shorter than the originals with a larger outer diameter. The cut length of the new hose before assembly was about 7 to 8 inches. When using the shorter 20lb cylinder I can loosen the 45 degree flare nut to let the hose rotate as needed to connect to the shorter tank and then retighten the nut.

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone try this stainless braded unit??
https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-Sturgis/100833-12.html

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I recommend Cavagna brand regulator and pigtails. amazon

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Your local propane distributor (they operate bulks trucks that fill 500 gallon tanks) will have good stuff. RV Part stores prefer wide margin markup stuff.