cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question for RV Fridge experts. (Not urgent)

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Our Norcold 1200LRIM is in the slide so it has two access doors, the upper one being the stack vent.

We are in southern Mexico, day temps in the 80s, night in the 70s (Yeah, I know, tough, but someone has to do it. :B )

We are parked N-S backed to a high wall. The fridge vents get hot sun from about 1:30 until roughly 4:00 PM

Will it get better cooling with either or both of the vent covers removed? :h

Muchas Gracias
8 REPLIES 8

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds. Where are you in Mexico. Look for a Steren store. They are an electronics parts store. Like a Mexican Radio Shack but better. They have stores in major cities. Awesome prices and I know they carry the small computer fans. That is what you need.

Moisheh

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies. As I said, we're in Mexico for the next few months, so buying stuff for RVs is usually out of the question. A computer fan in possible though and possibly the baffle to get rid of the dead air space above the vent.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
As Doug suggested plus you do not want a dead air space above the top of the top vent. This will disrupt the air flow out the side vent so adding something to fill this space or a baffle plus a fan should cut down on how hard it has to work.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
More airflow makes for more cooling, less airflow means a hot refrigerator.

I think your refrigerator is in a slide? If so you already have one strike against you. A roof vent is needed for best airflow but that is obviously not when mounted in a slide.

Do some research on refrigerator baffles and correct refrigerator installation. Adding baffles in the right place behind the refrigerator can improve refrigerator operation by forcing the air through the coils rather than around them.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
On a Norcold 1200 series (ANY RV refer in a slide room) adding a 12 volt fan at the top access door inside blowing straight OUT will increase the cooling ability. The 2 fans on the back are just blowing straight UP as it was designed for a roof top vent. With a upper side door vent, the hot air needs a little extra help to blow OUT the side door. Taking the doors off will help a little, but using that fan with the doors still on will do the trick. Doug

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Valterra makes one. A10-2618VP. Kit includes fan and thermostat.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably not. Adding a fan to help move air across the coils will help.
Get a computer muffin fan placed inside either of the vents will do the trick.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My fridge is also in the slide out. I haven't had any problems with cooling but I have a plan. Back in the 70s when my TC fridge had a cooling problem I installed 2 fans in the vent stack. they were 12 volt fans and controlled by a thermostat. They worked very well in 120 degree heat. Rv supply sold them.