cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrig not cooling but freezer is

carlandpat
Explorer
Explorer
Had this happen before and someone suggested the slide on the fins in the upper part of the refrigerator had been moved. It fixed the problem but now I can't remember if it is to be up or down? The freezer is cooling fine.
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Hi,

How long did you let the refrigerator run?

Was it on gas or electric?

How hot is it outside?

If you have been letting it run on gas more than 7 days, then how hot it is does not really matter.

If it is on electric, even if the refrigerator started out cold, it might warm to as much as 45 or 50F on a 90F day outside, because the cooling unit is only running at about 50% while on electric.

The typical burner is 2,200 Btu's per hour, with about 20% going up the flue, that still leaves about 1760 into the boiler. The typical electrical element is 300 - 320 watts, with 3.4 Btu's per watt, or around 900 Btu's.

On 12 volts, typically they can draw about 15 to 25 amps, or close to 150 - 300 watts, depending on how large the wire is and what voltage is actually applied to the heating element.

So if you let it run overnight, I am guessing that if on gas it might cool down properly.

Fred.

LP or 120 the BTU's are identical. The RV refers will cool identical regardless of Heat source. I do not know where you guess that the 120 is at 50%. NOT TRUE. The design of the Heat Source is identical. The 120 will actually heat the flue better than a flame. They have to install a spiral baffle in the flue to disperse the Flame heat evenly around the flue to get LP flame BTU's to heat correctly. NO RV REFER will cool on 12 volt ONLY (3 way models). The 12 volt on 3 way is a Maintainer of existing temp in the refer for operation while in transit. 3 way 12 volt operation are in transit operation ONLY. Doug

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

How long did you let the refrigerator run?

Was it on gas or electric?

How hot is it outside?

If you have been letting it run on gas more than 7 days, then how hot it is does not really matter.

If it is on electric, even if the refrigerator started out cold, it might warm to as much as 45 or 50F on a 90F day outside, because the cooling unit is only running at about 50% while on electric.

The typical burner is 2,200 Btu's per hour, with about 20% going up the flue, that still leaves about 1760 into the boiler. The typical electrical element is 300 - 320 watts, with 3.4 Btu's per watt, or around 900 Btu's.

On 12 volts, typically they can draw about 15 to 25 amps, or close to 150 - 300 watts, depending on how large the wire is and what voltage is actually applied to the heating element.

So if you let it run overnight, I am guessing that if on gas it might cool down properly.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Moved from Forum Technical Support

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you should check your frig door gasket , mine did like yours I put a bungee cord across it now I can freeze the milk.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you can not adjust temp setting on upper control panel then moving thermistor will make minor adjustment 6*-8*F

On a non-adjustable moving thermistor UP for cooler temp and DOWN for warmer less cool) temp in food section

Dometic has markings in food section

What temps are you getting in freezer and in food section??
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31