cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating propane detector?

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking of adding a drawer under my dinette bench. I would need to move my propane detector. Would it be better to move it under my dinette, or behind the dinette which would put it closer to the door? Or does it matter? If I move it behind to dinette, I won't need to add more wire length and it'd be a simpler fix.

(My trailer is a 1989 18' Terry Resort.)

I was considering replacing the dectector with a combo CO/propane detector, but just read it's better to have your CO monitor up high and your propane detector down low. I currently have a battery operated CO detector mounted on the wall.
6 REPLIES 6

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Propane heavier then air ---mount detector at floor level
CO slightly lighter then air --- mount detector within 5 feet of stove top and in bedroom
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the combination detector and place it near the floor. Propane tends to drop and accumulate at the low points. CO mixes with air very rapidly and a CO detector can be placed anywhere except for dead and/or enclosed spaces. It is typically easy to smell propane since it is highly doped with mercaptans. CO is odorless and much more of a threat. I have a wired combo propane/CO detector and another inexpensive battery CO detector. The battery units are inexpensive and sealed with batteries that last about 10 years.

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking moving to the edge under the dinette would be best due to being slightly closer to the stove. I do figure I might as well buy a new propane detector when I get around to this project.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just in case you don't know, LP Detectors typically have an expiration date of five to seven years. You can test yours with the gas from an un-lit lighter.

I observed a twenty year old RV with the original LP Detector, this test yielded it did still work after over a full minute of exposure to the gas. After replacing with a new one and performing the same test, the Detector alarmed in just a second or two.

Just a thought.....If you are re-locating, you may as well upgrade the Detector while you are at it.

PS: The LP detector manufacturers do not recommend testing the Detectors in this way. I have seen professionals on this site refer to cupping their hands over an un-lit stove top burner and carrying it to the Detector to test it.

Good luck

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Near the floor near the kitchen area
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most likely propane issue is a stove top burner on or the oven, not lit. The other appliances have their propanes outside, so not very detectable by the inside detector. So best place for the inside one is low down near the stove. Exact location not critical.

Some older stoves have tricky oven knob markings that you think you turned it off but it's not. Bad design.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.