cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement compartment latch / rekey? Items stolen?

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

All of my external storage compartments have locks that are opened/locked with one key EXCEPT for one compartment (ugh). This forces me to have two different keys. I would like to convert the one odd-ball latch to one that will work with the key that is used on all the others.

Does anyone know if a locksmith can convert the one odd-ball latch to work with the same key as all the others? Or is there a micro-stamp part# somewhere on these latches that would tell me which replacement latch I could order?

Let me know. Thanks!

Not that it should matter on this issue, but this is for a 2008 Four Winds 31p Chateau Class C RV.

I did google and find out that a huge percentage of these RV compartment latches are opened by the SAME key...meaning that if people wanted to open up your compartments there's a decent chance they can do it with one of their keys. How many of you have gone and changed ALL your external compartments to a different/unique key? I found this place online: ch751.com
Have any of you had stuff stolen from your external compartments (...likely because so many others have your same key??)? Just curious.

Thanks!
-Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
22 REPLIES 22

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Locks keep honest people honest The crooks will get in no matter what lock you put on it. My brother and I met at a public beach a couple of years ago. When we left the vehicles, he asked if I was going to lock my doors. I told him that I don't have anything in the truck that anyone would want. He locked his. When we came back a couple of hours later, his window was broken and they took a bunch of stuff from his glove box. My truck was untouched.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two keys is a pain. Nothing stolen thankfully.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I lock the bay doors so they don't flap down the road. At the CG I leave them unlocked.

Anyone stealing all our stuff in the bays would get a couple hundred dollars worth. Anyone breaking open only one bay door would do several thousand dollars in damage; repairs might involve creating a new fiberglass bay door.
-jbh-

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I now have one key instead of 4 to unlock everything.
Me too. OP was also inquiring about the 4 key thing. Don't bother to do that!!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
RVs are the easiest things to break into, locks or not. I wouldn't bother.

This may be true but As I said it is all about convenience,I now have one key instead of 4 to unlock everything.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
RVs are the easiest things to break into, locks or not. I wouldn't bother.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itinerant1 wrote:
I replaced all compartment locks (8 locks) granted if someone wants in they'll use a crowbar but why leave it so everyone and their mother has a key that opens the compartments.

https://ch751.com
Because basically nobody is after your stuff, so spend your money on important things like beer and BBQ. $40-$50 will buy a fair amount of either or both.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all compartment locks (8 locks) granted if someone wants in they'll use a crowbar but why leave it so everyone and their mother has a key that opens the compartments.

Just need to make a couple measurements before ordering. Total time replacing all maybe an hour.

https://ch751.com
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
WillT wrote:
All padlocks, hitch lock, propane lock, bike lock, canoe lock, use the truck ignition key.

Did you have all your store-bought padlocks custom-keyed somewhere?

About those OP hatches - it doesn't even take a screwdriver to pry it open, a good rock would break a hole easily. Very thin fibeglass-ish panel. I've been thinking of reinforcing it inside with metal strips but never got around to doing this. The entry door is not much better, same fiberglass sandwich with foam inside, only the foam is thicker.

WillT
Explorer
Explorer
I changed all our compartment locks to combi cams. Not so much for added security but because we like to have as few keys as possible. All padlocks, hitch lock, propane lock, bike lock, canoe lock, use the truck ignition key. I have a truck ignition key, one for truck bed shell, one for the unique battery lock, and that is it.
2001 F-350 4X4 V10 64,000 miles
2018 Nash 26N
2014 Nash 17K (Previous)

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Someone who seriously want it, will get in. You can only protect against easy/convenient access and thefts of opportunity. Almost everyone has a CH751 key, so anything else makes it so you're not a "low hanging fruit."

Might as well do a one key solution, so it's easy/convenient for you.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Just get another 751 lock and donโ€™t worry about someone using a key to get in your storage compartments. A number of RVs, including mine, were broken into in a storage facility several years ago. They didnโ€™t bother with a key. Just popped the storage compartment doors with a screwdriver or such. And didnโ€™t even damage the doors. Just bent the little tab on the barrel locks. Keys would have just slowed them down. Small barely noticeable black mark on the door frame. Bent the tabs back with my thumb and they are still there.

For the few they also got inside, they just broke out the door windows and reached in and opened the doors.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
SJ-Chris wrote:
Hi All,

All of my external storage compartments have locks that are opened/locked with one key EXCEPT for one compartment (ugh). This forces me to have two different keys. I would like to convert the one odd-ball latch to one that will work with the key that is used on all the others.

Does anyone know if a locksmith can convert the one odd-ball latch to work with the same key as all the others? Or is there a micro-stamp part# somewhere on these latches that would tell me which replacement latch I could order?

Let me know. Thanks!

Not that it should matter on this issue, but this is for a 2008 Four Winds 31p Chateau Class C RV.

I did google and find out that a huge percentage of these RV compartment latches are opened by the SAME key...meaning that if people wanted to open up your compartments there's a decent chance they can do it with one of their keys. How many of you have gone and changed ALL your external compartments to a different/unique key? I found this place online: ch751.com
Have any of you had stuff stolen from your external compartments (...likely because so many others have your same key??)? Just curious.

Thanks!
I ordered these and they work fine. Have to do some measuring.
-Chris

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If a person wants into your storage compartment the best lock money can buy will not even slow them down. Any storage compartment on a trailer can be easily opened with a medium to large screwdriver, a pry bar isn't even needed. Just take a look at the surrounding aluminum framework, flimsy and easily damaged.

Those expensive locks might even cause more damage since a thief may figure there's actually something worth stealing behind those fancy locks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"