cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing emergency breakaway switch

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
The breakaway switch on our new to us fifth wheel is looking more than a little rusty. Current switch is a TAP by HOPPY, and I'd like to replace it. Any brands/features that are preferred over others?
2022 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W 20K Companion
6 REPLIES 6

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about your rig but the difference between the 2 breakaway switches are very different. The first was simple. The new rig has a Bargman and lots of wires. Good Luck
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Most of these break-away switches are just two brass contactors separated by the plastic pull pin. Put a dab of grease on the pin when first installed and the pin will be easier to pull or insert.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Hadn't thought abut disconnecting the battery during replacement, so I'll be sure to do that. I'm thinking either a
Tekonsha 2005 Breakaway Kit from Amazon, or a Fastway Zip Trailer Breakaway Switch from etrailer (bookmarking that site). And I'll swing by the local NAPA tomorrow to see what they have.

I haven't done a test pull as it looks pretty rusty, and with my luck something major would happen if I tried.
2022 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W 20K Companion

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
ISTR that you should disconnect the 7-pin before testing the brake switch by yanking it out or something can go bad in the truck. I forget the details, sorry.

Putting the pin back in can be hard if you are a spaz like I am. Turn it the right way so it fits. ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
When mine went out on us I just went to Napa and picked one up for ten bucks and it worked perfect
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to check out ETRAILER.COM They have those and will most likely have a video on how to install it...

Just keep in mind if you pull the key while you are working on it, it will run down your trailer battery rather quick. Each Electric Brake coil will draw a solid 3AMPs when hit with 12VDC per installed electric brake unit.

That would be 6AMPS total for a single axle and 12AMPS for dual axles...

This also is not a good idea to have the electric brakes engaged for any length of time as it may burn out your electric magnet coils...

Pull the battery negative frame terminal when working on your electric brake system.

ALso if you have never pulled the key before it is a rather tight pull to get them out as well as putting them back in. The plunger is also keyed in one direction... Got to push rather hard to get it to engage the spring loaded key lock.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS