cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road rash and rust, in the arid west?

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
My search for a new van continues. Yes, every used vehicle has SOMETHING wrong with it :).

The current candidate seems great -- but it has a LOT of road rash. I don't mind. It's a boondocking rig. But if I keep this van for 8-10 years, will I then have a problem?

The rash on the front has no rust, presumably because of the heat from the radiator. But on the sides, each tiny pock has a speck of rust in its center.

Would it be a good idea to treat with naval jelly, or something similar, and then with a paint kit like DR? Would I end up with broader areas of rust under the paint if I do not? Would I even if I do treat? Is there a better treatment?

Thanks, guys :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
25 REPLIES 25

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, sure. It's just that they seem to ask an extra $2000 for the ugly seats ๐Ÿ˜‰
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
@westend: Yes, I am mostly looking at fleet vehicles.

The conversion vans don't work for me, at least the ones I have seen. The conversion consIsts of a bunch of leather passenger seats and ugly wood trim, all of which I would rip out to make room for cabinets, sink, etc.

But you must mean something different?
Sometimes, better to rip out ugly cushions and captain's chairs and have a good working chassis than have a beat-up chassis with possible major repair issues.
You are buying used so will have to bend in assumed quality in some areas. It's something about a cake and eating......:B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, Mex :).

Will you believe I was wondering the exact same thing? Thinking someone may have tightened steering adjustment too much, to counter some other play.

Another option I see on truck forums is bad ball joints / tie rod ends can be bad in a tight, rather than loose, way. Binding up.

So it could def be a case of replacing a lot of parts to see what helps. Having been thru that with my current van -- and now it is awesome -- I don't really want to redo.

Current van did need its adjuster screw loosened, among other things, and this surprised me by NOT revealing a new underlying issue ;).

OTOH, maybe any 15 year old van will need the same front end work, just not as desperately? My hands are very picky; I bet you can relate.

PS: I, too, heart Rock Auto.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Commercially owned vehicles are driven by people who do not give a ****.

As a general rule, meticulously maintained maintenance records (a bundle) is a good sign.

Wanna know what can go wrong?

Go to ROCKAUTO.COM

list your vehicle year and model. Check the STEERING AND SUSPENSION box

Every listing you see can wear out. These are just parts prices.

That van with the steering wheel problem. Someone SKREWED WITH the adjustment lash setting on the steering box in an attempt to take some of the horrendous free-play out of the steering wheel. This tampering made the gears lose their "high point center return" inside the box.

The vehicle is ready for crushing and being loaded with a magnetic crane on a China freighter IMO

MrWizard
Conversion van means camper van

Leather seats for multiple people equal 'Travel Van'
Comfort ride from point A to point B
not a camper
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been stuck here fir 3 months trying to buy a van. I am really, really impatient to just get one and move on. I am trying not to let my restlessness push me into a bad decision. But if this van is 'good enough' I sure do not want to pass on it and keep looking.

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did see it, Mex, and thank you.

What do you think of westend's concern that even if I fix the current problems the front end is just going to continue to fall apart, one piece at a time?

Of course, every car does. But this one may be faster to disintegrate.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"I mentioned a steering problem. It's hard to turn the wheel, it does not return to center, and there is a vibration in the wheel that does NOT change with mph."

See my first reply several entries above, or did I write it with invisible ink?

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
@Mex: That's really not true for me. The vehicles I have sold in my lifetime have been in great shape. I sold them because my life, and what I needed, had changed.

Like right now, my current van was in very good shape when I bought it and is now even better. Whoever buys it will be getting a great deal. I just want a bigger van.

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
@westend: Yes, I am mostly looking at fleet vehicles.

The conversion vans don't work for me, at least the ones I have seen. The conversion consIsts of a bunch of leather passenger seats and ugly wood trim, all of which I would rip out to make room for cabinets, sink, etc.

But you must mean something different?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
FOR EVERY "FOR SALE" USED VEHICLE...

THERE IS A REASON BEHIND IT...

OWNERS JUST LOVE TO SELL, PERFECT, TROUBLE-FREE VEHICLES

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought that used conversion vans were a fairly good bargain. There are many of them that sit idle because folks age or lose interest in using them.

For the frugal, a good target would be an older van in good shape with low miles. A new owner would have to budget for repairs that come with any vehicle that is older or has built up some miles.

Another alternative is fleet vans but a buyer has to make certain that a dealer isn't unloading a lemon on the naive purchaser. If you can buy direct from a business, these vehicles are typically well maintained and have a service history that is documented.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am starting to think I am being too cheap and/or too picky.

Every vehicle I look at, you understand, the seller claims is in perfect mechanical condition ;).

But I end up rejecting each one. I have read a few thousand ads, and taken maybe a dozen rigs to be inspected (meaning, I liked them well enough to do that).

It's starting to feel like looking for a mate O_o
You know, when all your friends tell you, 'Oh, no, you are not being picky, they really are that bad! ' but you wonder why you have not found the right one yet?

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
You make a persuasive argument, westend.