cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof hole size for AC

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 7 year old, think it is a 13,500BTU AC, does not seem to be working as well as it should. Compressor is slow on kicking in & the cooling is not what it used to be along with other expensive sounding noises.

Not sure of the manufacturer & can't run out & see since I am in Bermuda & the rig is in MD. Maybe somebody might recognise it from the pic.

Trying to do some research ahead of time so that if & when it dies I will know just what to order. Wanting to up it a 15,000BTU.

Will the roof hole size needed be the same? Is it standardised through the industry? How easy is it to change out? Are wiring harnesses the same across brands or brand specific?

I can do stuff myself. Installed an inverter/charger, changed out a transfer switch, changed a few electric sewer valves & landing legs. Never dealt with AC. Is it much of a big deal other than getting the creature on the roof?

Click For Full-Size Image.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
6 REPLIES 6

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The control board is mounted to the upper unit in front of the evaporator. It is removed and reinstalled on the new upper unit. Doug

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thankyou. I suspected the hole size would be the same. The make & model, no clue. My inner ceiling part has no controls other than vents.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your AC is a RVP/Coleman. It is BEST to use the same brand when replacing or installing a new extra AC unit. Not required if installing the 2nd AC, but IS required if replacing the existing as the controls do not work on other brands. Doug

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
To answer your question, yes, the hole in the roof is the same standardized 14".
Enjoy your bigger AC - I'd sure do the same thing!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forgot to mention, both OEM 13,500 both replacment 15,000
Ducted (We did not replace the middle, ducting, unit)
NOW on the one the original control wiring is in place
The other the controls are ON the ceiling (lower) unit.

So Talk to your Tech.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some useful info. The hole in the roof is 14" square.. Does not matter if 13,500 or 15,000 BTU The hole in the roof is the same.

Second, Depending on several things. Mostly however the make and model of your EXISTING A/C. You may be able to replace JUST the top unit.

Your A/C has 3 main parts. Top, Middle, and ceiling (lower)

I've replaced both of mine.. Top only on one, Top and bottom on the other since we could not get the adapt-a-kit for the replacement top.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times