cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv a/c. Help

fordman13
Explorer
Explorer
I have a old1998 holiday rambler 5th wheel. My ducted a/c unit went out.
Shopping for a new one. A complete one. Mine has the old analog thermostat. All the new ones have digital. Iโ€™m not sure my thermostat wiring will work.
Does anyone know if anyone makes one with the remote bing the thermostat?
5 REPLIES 5

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
The upper unit whether Coleman(RVP) or Dometic, the type inside tstat has NO bearing on the replacement. As long as you replace with the same brand as the upper unit.

Ditto.

If you have a Coleman A/C, replace it with that. If you have Dometic, replace it with the same brand.

Also, the wall mounted T-stat is an item that is sold separately from the A/C unit from what I've seen. There's a myriad of T-stats available.

Your existing T-stat will work fine with the new A/C you installed.

Although, this would be a perfect time to upgrade to a Bluetooth t-stat like I did.

Here's my bluetooth t-stat upgrade project
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The upper unit whether Coleman(RVP) or Dometic, the type inside tstat has NO bearing on the replacement. As long as you replace with the same brand as the upper unit. The ONLY exception is the new style Dometic Penguin AC/HP. The upper unit has the 120 multiplug that connects to the upper control board. The upper control board will stay with the new unit. The upper control board is just 1 of 3 components.
1. Top AC unit
2. Upper control Tstat box
3. The wall tstat
Last, there is no remote "bing" type RV tstat. There have been threads on making a tstat work on RV's but the cost was Hundreds of dollars and electronic knowledge to do. Doug

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
fordman13 wrote:
Does anyone know if anyone makes one with the remote bing the thermostat?
Please reword.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fordman13
Explorer
Explorer
My ceiling is 9 foot where the a/c is.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The thermostat has a few wires to the Roof unit.. one for "Cold" and "no cold" and a few more for the blower (Fan) Digital or analog. Does not matter so long as you have the same wires. NO part of the thermostat is in the overhead. it's all on the wall.

Page 2:

How high is your cealing?

I used a Coleman to replace my Carrier (Since Carrier is no longer made) I could not get the adapt-a-kit so I went with "local Control" the knobs were on the ceiling part of the Rootop A/C. Worked great though Well.. You need to bore out the holes under the control knobs in the ceiling grid so you don't have to pull the knobs off to remove the the grid and possibly cut a bigger old in the filter as well (Since air does not pass through right here you can do that)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times