cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Antifreeze

PapaRomeo
Explorer
Explorer
I just came from an RV repair place and the owner warned me not to use RV antifreeze containing alcohol because it deteriorates the rubber seals. He then went into a sales pitch for his own rv antifreeze containing propylene glycol. He then said his rv antifreeze imparts a bad odor to the system, but he had another chemical treatment that reverses the odor.

Now for years I have used the standard rv antifreeze (contains ethanol) and have never had a problem with rubber seals except now in the toilet and THAT IS AFTER 19 YEARS OF SERVICE!!!! I really can't argue with 19 years of trouble free toilet function.

Soooo. Does anyone have some input on rv antifreeze - ethanol or propylene glycol? I am aware of the "combustion" possibility of ethanol. Others have said ethanol causes "bad taste." I never drink camper water only bottled water. What about bad odor that needs to be eliminated with something else? Is what he said all sales hype?

Any thoughts and experience would be welcomed.

PapaRomeo
46 REPLIES 46

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I buy the rv antifreeze with the propylene glycol. Flush it well in the spring and no bad taste.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, there's no doubt that ethanol is not good for rubber seals, but I consider there's not enough ethanol in contact with any rubber to cause much damage. I've been using it for 9 years with no issues.

It sounds like the dealer has a vested interest in you buying his product. So maybe not the most unbiased source?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"