cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 Springdale faulty furnace. Couch removal to access?

Scotty092278
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Springdale 189FLWE that has a furnace issue. The fan runs for about :30, there is no clicking sound from the igniter, then the fan shuts off. My assumption it is a faulty sail switch or the main board that;s keeping it from igniting. I'm going to attempt the repair on my own, as either/both appear to be straightforward.

My issue is this: Based on the layout of the RV, the furnace is immediately to the right of the entrance at the very front of the trailer. It vents to the passenger side of the trailer but is not otherwise accessible from the exterior of the trailer. It sits under a small cabinet. The cabinet does have an access point on the side, but it provides access only to the side of the furnace.

It looks like I need to remove the furnace for any repair. It appears to do so, I will need to remove the couch that sits right next to the cabinet and extends across the rest of the front of the trailer. I can then remove a full side of the cabinet and, hopefully, pull the furnace.

Not sure if anyone is familiar with this layout and, if so, if this makes sense. I guess my question at this point is has anyone removed one of these couches? Any hints or words of wisdom?

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks, everyone!
6 REPLIES 6

Scotty092278
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. Eight nuts held the couch to the frame. I've removed it and am now in the midst of removing the screws that hold the frame to the floor. That will give me access to the side of the cabinet, which I will also remove before then attempting to unscrew the furnace from the floor.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sofa likely comes apart so that it can fit thru the door. See if there are not fasteners at the base of the back cushions that once removed allow the back to be lifted up and off.
Puma 30RKSS

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
The intake/exhaust port should be removed first. Take out the screws and it will pull off with some effort. It has two tubes that slide into matching furnace tubes with a very tight friction fit. Once you manage to get it pulled off, the furnace will be free (except for any screws that hold it to the floor). Often you cannot pull the furnace far enough inward before hitting something to free it from the plate pipes. I was thrilled on our RV that the outer port plate was very large. Removing it lets me pull the furnace out that way!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
also check the exhaust pipe and fresh air pipe hornets like to build nest in there. p.s. you have checked fuel supply.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I would first check the fan, It most likely is a squirrel cage type fan, and they can get dirty and not move enough air to make the sail switch work.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about you unit but all the ones I have seen you must pull the furnace away from the outside wall in order to remove it. No access from outside. Straight back from the intake and exhaust ports. I'm very sure someone will have an exception to this but that is how the majority work. It requires a special circuit board tester to check the control board unless you can see some burned evidence of damage.There is a sail switch and gas valves involved also. Best to get help. not really a DIY project. You can pull it out and take it to a dealer so you won't be without your rig for weeks.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.