cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Self Sufficient on Solar? Something Not Right !

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy w/ my small 200 watt solar, but it dawned on me the other day that if the sun hangs in here as long as I do (here in QZS) I will have saved a whole $60 of gasoline I usually burn in my Honda 1000 in a couple months. Not a terrible return on a $300+ solar investment, I thought.
But when I found myself going after my 2nd tank of propane @ 50 bucks a trip, I realized something about this self sufficient solar ain't workin quite right.
Just curious, how many are running their electric heates on some of these chilly nites,.....meaning how many more watts of solar do I need ? ๐Ÿ™‚

Or maybe a better question,...how many solarers are still buyin propane. Maybe we don't have this solar all figured out yet ??
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.
40 REPLIES 40

MrWizard
We have a small 200w electric heater, from lasko called a "my heat" personal space heater
designed for desk or cubicle use
October 2012 during our return from the Midwest, I would run it at night in the bedroom, outside temps in the mid 40s, draws 18~19 amps from batteries using the inverter
Since we were driving several hundred miles a day, there was no problem with the battery bank
Since then I have used it a few times to warm my desk area while on the computer late at night, but only for an hour or two
(The Oly Cat was facing the bedroom for DW),
But I could not do eight hours per night using solar only charging
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi MrWizard,

Absolutely correct. I can do one night on battery electric heat if I restrict it to the bedroom and the temperature is above 0 c (32 f). Then it takes days to recharge the bank.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
RJ
I think many of the DPs have a hydro hot system burning diesel fuel for heat and hot water
A hundred gallons of diesel will go a long time with that system

Out of all the posts about solar "PT" is the only one I remember using electric heat
And his is primarily from shore power
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The 15,000 BTU air conditioner in my RV is also a heat pump. Hence, large battery and solar banks and a 4000 watt inverter likely would be required. Perhaps 1000AH of LifePo4 batteries at $13,000 would do the job for several hours.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Rich,

If they have an absorption fridge chances are they are using propane for that purposed. The darn things use 4.8 kwh per day on electric.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
OP here,
it wadnt like I was ignorant to all this inverter, battery AHs stuff,,....I guess the question really was,....how many of those big strapper solar rigs I see out in the desert here are running propane free. There just may be some.
A heat pump is probably the place to start,.....never gave that a thought.
It wouldn't be for me, but propane could be a hassle for a 45 ft MH spending 5 months out here in the desert.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MrWizard
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Folks,

As a battery discharges it freezes more easily i.e. at a higher temperature.

freeze points lead acid

100% charged -67 c (-77 f)
0% charged -6.7 c (20 f)

Totally correct i said the temp backwards

i meant freezes sooner at a higher temp, not lower temp

i did say sooner, but typed lower instead of higher
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
I'm happy w/ my small 200 watt solar, but it dawned on me the other day that if the sun hangs in here as long as I do (here in QZS) I will have saved a whole $60 of gasoline I usually burn in my Honda 1000 in a couple months. Not a terrible return on a $300+ solar investment, I thought.
But when I found myself going after my 2nd tank of propane @ 50 bucks a trip, I realized something about this self sufficient solar ain't workin quite right.
Just curious, how many are running their electric heates on some of these chilly nites,.....meaning how many more watts of solar do I need ? ๐Ÿ™‚

Or maybe a better question,...how many solarers are still buyin propane. Maybe we don't have this solar all figured out yet ??

Electric heater on solar wont do it..unless the sun keeps shining 24 hrs!!

I have diesel fueled. Espar heater that uses couple gallons a week in minus 20C.
Expensive heater,but totally worth it in efficiency and low electric consumption.as
Diesel is most powerful fuel in BTU content,

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Folks,

As a battery discharges it freezes more easily i.e. at a higher temperature.

freeze points lead acid

100% charged -67 c (-77 f)
0% charged -6.7 c (20 f)
Regards, Don

MrWizard
Lesson 103 is the freezing point of a battery increases as the battery discharges.

NO..
i think you mean this
as battery discharges it WILL FREEZE at a lower temp, likely hood of freezing Increases

the freezing point is Decreased, it is Lower
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi mena,

Heat pumps draw about 1200 watts. However they extract 13500 btu's of heat. A similar sized resistance heater would only output about 3600 btus.

The rub is, that below about 6 c (40 f) output from the heat pump starts to drop. So just when you need the most heat, efficiency goes down. By 0 c (32 f) they are barely better than resistance heating. The most modern ones will work to about -5 c (25 f).

That is why home heat pump systems often use pipe embedded well below the frost line. Unfortunately that won't work too well for an RV.

Don't get me wrong--if my air conditioner ever flakes out--I'll replace it with a heat pump.
Regards, Don

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:
Lesson 102 is that when you talk about RV solar apps, 95% of the talk is about batteries.
Since the whole point of solar in a RV is to recharge/charge batteries, how can you have a discussion of solar without a discussion of batteries? But hey, I'm open to learning cause I'm definitely a solar newb.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
RJ, you have just experienced Lesson 101 of Solar Power.

Lesson 102 is that when you talk about RV solar apps, 95% of the talk is about batteries.

Lesson 103 is the freezing point of a battery increases as the battery discharges.

Lesson 104 is a frozen battery can split open and/or damage the plates.

Congratulations, you are becoming a seasoned veteran on Solar Power.

JMO (from my school of hard knocks, circa 1995) :B

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mena661 wrote:
there are members here already running A/C off inverter (few hours here and there), they just don't talk much about it. It's not like it's an impossible task, it just takes some planning like everything else.
Yep, and a heapload of amp-hours.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman