cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sigh.. crack in the AGM battary case - toast?

MaestroPNW
Explorer
Explorer
Continuing on my quest of adding more capacity to the TC, I ordered two AGM batteries. One arrived a dud. After much discussion with the seller they sent me a replacement.
The new one checked out ok, so I let it be until I was ready to start installing them - here in PNW you don't get too many dry days this time of the year.

Finally, I hauled it out of the garage only to realize there's an indented crack in one of the upper corners of the battery - right under the lid. Don't know how did I not notice it right away, but I didn't. It's been two weeks since it was delivered, so not sure if the seller is going to be receptive to my complaints. Contacted them anyway, of course, but trying to figure out the worst case scenario.

Here's the photo of the crack:

Hopefully, they send me replacement, but if not:
Is this toast? Do I use it as is (if I have to)? Try patching it up?

Thanks,
-MB
11 REPLIES 11

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
09FLSTC wrote:
They are good batteries. We use them all the time for solar projects and off shore. Same battery that the professional anglers use on the bass pro circuit labeled under bass pro and others.

My Bass-Pro labelled AGM was clearly a Deka 8a24m AGM.

HTH;
John

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MaestroPNW wrote:
UPG - Universal Power Group
Thanks. Yeah, that's certainly no cheap battery.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

09FLSTC
Explorer
Explorer
They are good batteries. We use them all the time for solar projects and off shore. Same battery that the professional anglers use on the bass pro circuit labeled under bass pro and others.

MaestroPNW
Explorer
Explorer
UPG - Universal Power Group

I've used their smaller AGM batteries (7-14 AH) before with success and figured I'd give them another try.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What brand of battery is this?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Two items.

The first is the crack IS repairable and the repair will be lifetime.

Use an EIGHTH INCH drill and oh so carefully hole the ends of the crack. I needn't mention what happens if you slip and the drill goes deep...

Sandpaper around the crack with 220 grit. The adhesive must have a roughened surface to adhere.

NO SUBSTITUTIONS! Any GOOP product. Different labels, they're all the same inside.

Press tube nozzle against case, squeeze tube and then lay down a bead he full length of the crack. Make the GOOP margins a full half inch. Let dry overnight, then do a 2nd later. Let that cure. Goop gets toughest after the 3rd day.

Yes, I have used this repair technique on VRB. Yes I have used it dozens of times. Yes, 100% of the repairs were effective and they "lasted" the full span of the battery lifetime.

Don't try and cheat. Nothing else but GOOP will do this job right.

PART 2

Concorde Lifeline, brags they use a super tough, super thick, super strong battery case and lid. It is not empty hype...

MaestroPNW
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it looks like the seller is going to send a replacement.
Still sucks to have the project delayed for over a month due to two defective batteries in a row, but could be worse, I guess.

Anybody want to bet on the odds of the third one being a dud?

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Had a problem with a GC of mine. Took it to a Battery Dealer in my area & they repaired it for me.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

mena661
Explorer
Explorer

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to patch a cracked top with a glue gun but not sure if that would be adequate for your side damage. I hope you are successful exchanging batteries with the seller.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

J_L_Rivera
Explorer
Explorer
in a pinch to get by, I'd cover it with clear packing tape and run it.
looking to replace it soon. be sure it's in a vented location.
Lake Front Property
2007 Itasca Spirit 31C
2008 Crestliner 1800 Super Hawk