cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide topper part came loose - what is it?

AKF15E
Explorer
Explorer
While extending my dinette slide yesterday, it briefly "hung up", followed by a loud pop from outside. Thought something broke with the hydraulics or gears. My wife was observing from the outside and said she saw something fly off the top of the slideout, but couldn't tell what it was. I got up top and noticed a 3-4" piece of hardware was loose an appeared to have once been riveted to the topper tube. I think my wife saw the rivet go flying, but not sure as I couldn't find it. I have no idea what the piece is - can anyone ID it and what is it's purpose? There is the same piece on the end of each topper and the piece rotates with the tube as the topper retracts when the slide is retracted. Is it safe to travel with the piece off?
Thanks in advance!
AKF15E
Goldsboro, NC

2011 GMC Sierra SLT 3500HD DRW, CC, Duramax, 4x4, Curt 20K hitch

2015 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

2020 Forest River Wolfpack 365Pack16 Toyhauler with a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture in the garage
7 REPLIES 7

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
AKF15E wrote:
Well that's good to know! Heartland had no information about the toppers in the paperwork - just a number on the inside of the lights/switches panel. I made the assumption that the number for awnings (Carefree) included the slide awnings. I will contact Dometic. Thanks!

You never rivet those ON, You use screws due to the torque involved when it does its job. Doug

AKF15E
Explorer
Explorer
Well that's good to know! Heartland had no information about the toppers in the paperwork - just a number on the inside of the lights/switches panel. I made the assumption that the number for awnings (Carefree) included the slide awnings. I will contact Dometic. Thanks!
AKF15E
Goldsboro, NC

2020 Forest River Wolfpack 365Pack16 Toyhauler with a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture in the garage

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
AKF15E wrote:
I'll have to check on the bracket in the daylight. Thanks again for the info. You answered my question in 10 minutes after I've been waiting on Carefree of Colorado all day to answer my question (still waiting!)...even after I sent them an e-mail with a picture that they requested.

You will wait til hell freezes over to get an answer from Carefree:B THAT is a DOMETIC Slide cover anti billows bracket. The USUAL reason that comes off is because they only installed 1 of the 2 mount screws. Make sure you use 2 mount screws. Check the other brackets also as they usually fail to install 2 screws on all slide covers when they do that. Doug

AKF15E
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have to check on the bracket in the daylight. Thanks again for the info. You answered my question in 10 minutes after I've been waiting on Carefree of Colorado all day to answer my question (still waiting!)...even after I sent them an e-mail with a picture that they requested.
AKF15E
Goldsboro, NC

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Is the bracket still on the sidewall of the coach? I'd try to re-screw the part back on. Some velcro arrangement should work, too. There isn't really much force generated at the very beginning of the 'roll-out' but if it keeps unspooling, you could get a huge 'bellying out' that would rip the awning off.

AKF15E
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gary. I have 4 slides, so I can look at the other 3 and see how they look and are positioned. Not sure how I'll deal with this while on the road. I'm returning home Sunday and I sure don't want my topper unwinding on the interstate! Maybe I'll try and devise something with Velcro straps until I get home. Or get some sheet metal screws and try and reattach.
AKF15E
Goldsboro, NC

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
That piece is meant to prevent your slide topper awning from unrolling from wind while you are going down the road. There should be a bracket on the coach sidewall that, if the awning starts to 'roll out', will be struck by the pictured part and prevented from rolling out further. When you extend the slide, the outward motion of the slide will cause the pictured piece to be too far out to strike the bracket when it rolls around to line up with the bracket. The piece you pictured fastens on the end of the awning roller. Since you have others to look at, you should be able to figure out how to replace and adjust the part. Yours probably was loose and the adjustment slipped to a point a little too close and the piece caught on the bracket then popped the part off. If it wasn't night, I'd go out and attach a picture of mine. Mine is attached to the roller with 2 screws and is slotted for adjustment. Your wife probably saw the screws flying off. If the holes are stripped, you can re-drill and tap elsewhere since you have the slots to work with. With it off, there is the possibility of the topper seriously unwinding as you drive down the road if the wind catches it right