cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smart Phone (apple) National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map

redwingfans
Explorer
Explorer
The national forest site suggests the avenza.com app. The DW down loaded the app but we can not understand how to use it. We are unable to find the National Forest MVUM maps, example we are looking for the Black Hills National Forest. Any help with this app or suggestions on other free/low cost apps/maps would be greatly appreciated!!
Mark and Linda
2013 Pleasure Way Excel
10 REPLIES 10

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
Avenza is a GPS type application on your iPhone/Android phone which uses pdf files. Many maps have been converted to pdf with GPS coordinates embedded in the map. These maps are available on the Avenza site, some are free some cost. Works fairly well on the iPhone, as long as you have cell towers to find your location - the iPhone is much slower if it has to use GPS satellites to find your location.

Many MVUM maps are available as pdf with embedded GPS coordinates. The problem is in real use, trying to get a good signal when you are in the middle of nowhere. I use a combination of my Garmin GPS and the Avenza app (if I have a map available). Quite often the pdf maps are better, but the Garmin leaves a trail (bread crumbs) to help me find my way back if I need it.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I am using the app and there are free maps and there are pay maps. You can just do the free maps if you want to.

It's a good app, and it also places your position on the map.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

redwingfans
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your help, now I understand. App = free PDF maps=$ hard copy free. The app really has some nice features, but I am not good enough to have to pay for the maps.
Mark and Linda
2013 Pleasure Way Excel

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
redwingfans wrote:
MVUM map, is what the National Forest calls their road maps. Motor Vehicle Use Maps. Sorry should have included it in the original post.

ok, thanks. the app seems to be a method by which maps can be displayed but the maps are not included but must be purchased or otherwise acquired. when I searched for 'Avenza' in the iTunes store I found the app marked 'Free' with a + sign. that usually indicates that while the app is free the data it uses it not included.

I believe these are to be provided free of charge. I know the hard copies are.
The National Forest Recreation maps are sold ( around $10). But MVUM map should be free.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Link for Black Hills NF MVUM page

This page indicates that there are 4 maps for the BHNF. Scroll down the page to see the links for downloading them in PDF format.

I use the free Files app to store PDFs on my Apple products. Files Pro upgrade ($) lets you organize your files better. I have not tried an MVUM, but often download USGS topo maps into my old iPod Touch to carry along on hikes. Works great!

Also, at most forests I have visited the MVUM is available in a rack outside the office so you can get one even if this office is closed.

Happy trails!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
redwingfans wrote:
MVUM map, is what the National Forest calls their road maps. Motor Vehicle Use Maps. Sorry should have included it in the original post.

ok, thanks. the app seems to be a method by which maps can be displayed but the maps are not included but must be purchased or otherwise acquired. when I searched for 'Avenza' in the iTunes store I found the app marked 'Free' with a + sign. that usually indicates that while the app is free the data it uses it not included.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

redwingfans
Explorer
Explorer
Mark and Linda
2013 Pleasure Way Excel

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
what is a MVUM map?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

redwingfans
Explorer
Explorer
Apple, sorry should have included that in original post.
Mark and Linda
2013 Pleasure Way Excel

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
What platform are you using? Apple, Android, Windows or BBM?