cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar install ???

Dick_641
Explorer
Explorer
Need some advice on my solar install, can I run the neg. an pos. wires from the Morningstar mppt 60 controller to my pos. an neg. buss bars or do they need to go straight to battery posts? also can a double pole 60 amp breaker as used in houses be used as the fuses before an after the controller on the pos. line?
6 REPLIES 6

Dick_641
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for responding will go with fuses.

I do have a shunt, an a bogart monitor so will hook to buss bars, will try to attach a photo

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
Not to complicate things further... but... if you have a shunt for a battery bank monitor, all the solar needs to pass thru this shunt (in which case running directly to the battery bank neg/pos posts would not be good). If you already have battery (pos and neg) buss bars, those are probably your best connection points.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
After the controller - not only yo can, but you should.

Controller -> DC breaker or fuse -> bus -> battery fuse -> battery.

Breaker should be DC. Not like those in houses. In my system I used Big Baby breakers box and DIN rail DC breakers, all purchased at Az WindSun (I think). Very nice box, mounted there Pos and Neg bus and 2 breakers, have 2 vacant slots left.

Before controller you can use any switch of sufficient amperage, fuse or breaker is not crucial there.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Jack Mayer and Handy Bob`s web sites, tons of solar info and help.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Bus bar is fine.

60a breaker is too small for output. See install manual.

No those breakers are rated for AC. You need DC switches or breakers rated for the proper voltage and current.

MrWizard
Yes you can run to the buss bars
As for the breaker
Maybe.. If you find one with screw terminals on each side aka four screws
Most house breakers snap in to the high buss bar in the breaker panel and only have a screw terminal on the output side

I had fuse on my solar wires replaced the fuse with 40 amp DC circuit breaker
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s