cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Squirrels building nest in my A/C

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this is the place to post this. Have a dometic penquin 13500 air conditioner on the front of the fifth wheel. Twice now they have got inside the shroud and chewed the wiring making the unit inoperable. This second time they built a nest inside as well as chewed the wiring. Question, how do I keep them out? The way the shroud is made they have no trouble getting inside. I know you can purchase the vinyl covers but don't think that would stop them.
Appreciate you suggestions!
18 REPLIES 18

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Wrap a piece of chicken wire or similar, with smallish holes no bigger than 1/2", around the A/C unit, specifically on the surfaces where they gain entry. I've used short pieces of picture hanger wire like twist ties to fasten it in place. It's a great deterrent for unwanted entry into a variety of things, chimneys, soffit vents, any small opening that squirrels and chipmunks frequent. It allows air flow, too.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
stewed squirrel with sour cream gravy!!....still remember that one my Dad made when I was about 12 !!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
The 5er is in the country, only get there every 2-3 weeks. Thumbs up on the stew though.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Trap them. Start a relocation program.

Squirrel stew.
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315