cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tank Monitor and Battery Level Panel Not Working

waldreps
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1998 Dutchmen Aristocrat 24FL-D travel trailer and the tank monitor and battery level panel won't light up at all. I just got it recently so I'm learning about it. I just installed a battery tonight and everything seems to work except the tank monitor and battery level panel. No lights come on when I push the test toggle switch for the tank monitors or the battery level. The water pump button turns on the pump but doesn't light up. Any ideas why none of the lights would work on that panel?
1998 Dutchmen Aristocrat 24FL-D
8 REPLIES 8

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the battery is not connected backwards.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not Home Depot and Lowe's have an amazing variety of switches including toggle and rocker. It's pretty handy carrying in the old switch then staring and comparing at possible replacements.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably not Radio Shack since they have gone or are in the process of going out of businessโ€”though if you do get lucky at one, you might be able to get the switch really cheaply.

Typically these are snap-in switches (as in you slide them into their holes and there are tabs on the back that spring out to hold them in place). If you remove it from the mounting and measure the hole dimensions, you have the information you need to find a momentary toggle switch somewhere.

Mouser and DigiKey are two large and reputable supply places that have many many switches available and will sell to individuals in small quantities. You should be able to find something that's the right size and style and (approximate) color.

waldreps
Explorer
Explorer
I found it. I got my multimeter out verified that 12V was getting to the test switch. I then touched the two wires together and the lights work. So, now I need to find a place to buy a new test switch. I'm guessing maybe Radio Shack or somewhere.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You need a 12-volt test light and an inexpensive digital handheld meter to help you with minor issues like this. The alternative is to substitute via purchase or pay a hundred dollars an hour for someone else to do the same thing. But guesswork is expensive, and frustrating. Many times there are zero easy ways to test something by process of elimination using guesswork. Your panel lost supply power. Is it a fuse? Is it a burned out power supply? is it a positive or negative power feed break? The working water pump switch proves there is 12 volt power nearby. After that conclusion it's all guesswork without a meter and test light.

waldreps
Explorer
Explorer
I did notice last night that one fuse is missing in the fuse box. It says it's for the LP sensor but maybe the tank monitor panel runs through that fuse as well. I know that those monitors aren't really accurate most of the time but I would at least like it to work. I'll try adding that fuse and see if that works. Thanks.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Could be a ground wire for the panel. Water Pump switch would just close and open the hot wire.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
You can replace the switch for the pump. Obviously power is getting to it or the pump wouldn't come on. It's just not lighting up

You can pull the monitor panel & check connections there also, but it too probably needs replacing. Having said that, the monitor is not reliable anyhow. It can only read what the sensors say for the tanks & they may not be working any longer. I believe most of us don't rely upon the panel to be accurate, especially for the battery. DON'T rely on the monitor for the battery. Best to get a hand held multimeter to check voltage, or install a meter inside the coach for that purpose.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74