cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Testing the ??MPPT ?? CMTP02 Controller UPDATE

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
UPDATE--more test results in the "oh no" thread--a new meaning for MPPT?

Reported initial results today at the end of the "Oh No MPPT" thread
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
17 REPLIES 17

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
added some test results in other thread. Possible new meaning for MPPT too.
Photo in Profile

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
RJ,

I've always found you right on the 'Money'

O$S

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I keep forgettin I dint want that controller in the first place, won the bid accidently. Refund sounding better all the time.:)
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Ok, sorry I started that thread, but the worst part is I never got that MPPT controller ! This is the first time I ever had any trouble w/ shipment, local or overseas. They want to give me a refund, but I told'm I want what I ordered.
Now they want me to wait another week before they settle. But it seems like I'll never see anything but the refund.

Rich,

Your one of my main men. Some call me old moldy. I guess for a reason. Great to save a 'buck'

Now RJ, I just looked on Ebay. One seller shows the MPPT 15a like you ordered @ $12.88 another shows $13.86 Please, you might just go after one more. My 20a arrived in 10 days. This happens to be one of the high volume controllers sold. I don't fine anyone saying they have a throw away from this model. I'll try to get out to the shop tomorrow and hook my 20a to a 24/100w panel.

Floyd
o$S

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Rich

You may be the lucky one.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, sorry I started that thread, but the worst part is I never got that MPPT controller ! This is the first time I ever had any trouble w/ shipment, local or overseas. They want to give me a refund, but I told'm I want what I ordered.
Now they want me to wait another week before they settle. But it seems like I'll never see anything but the refund.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to read some of the HiTech Posts.

But Hey, I'm the batt boy and not the batter. Hopefully at or near the end of this thread, or the other one running, we will all know 'Exactly what is MPPT?? '(in fact, like science)' If we know the real maybe the fake will also be known?

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi mena,

Here you go:

mppt thread BFL13

Thanks but my post was for others not familiar with the other thread. ๐Ÿ™‚

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hey BFL13, "Watts Up?"

Watts POTENTIAL on the incoming versus Watts DELIVERED on the outgoing is the polygraph for maximum potential delivery capability. Another way of looking at it is if the panel has a lot of lead in its pencil and no one to write to despite the need of the battery bank to be charged, then you have a shovel leaner of a controller. This is of course assuming a person knows what they are doing in the wire and connection department, and you do...

Short the panel and read the ultimate potential I available. This will give you are pretty good idea if the panel itself is not shirking. The OCV will verify potential.

Comparisons between potential and actual delivery are the key to determining efficiency. Do a volt drop test throughout the system, from panel to battery. Then multiply by amperage at that point in the circuit.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 Thanks for update - I am seeing some new ideas to me at any rate. There just may be a way for me to use my three solar panels and get my batteries re-charged back to 90% charge in a short one sun day run... I know you can't make things out something that doesn't exist unless you get to use magic beans or flux capacitors.

Watching both threads with interest...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi mena,

Here you go:

mppt thread BFL13

mena661 wrote:
How about a link to that thread there bubba? ๐Ÿ™‚
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roy, don't get mixed up between this test of this particular controller and how solar works in general. The idea here is just to see if this controller is a fake or real MPPT.

So far, my tests have not shown that for sure AFAIK, but indications are that even if it is MPPT you can't use it in normal MPPT situations like running a 230w 24v panel, since we don't know its Voc rating limit.

You might be getting confused because my set-up right now is with not enough solar for the size of battery bank I have (for various reasons) so don't take that as an example of anything.

I wanted to keep the results in the other thread to keep the advice I got on how to test, with the results I get.

Mena just find RJ's thread on "oh, no" --it is all his fault after all! We are talking big bucks here! (not the buck inductor, those money kind ๐Ÿ™‚ )
Photo in Profile

westend
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
What am I hearing here... I know I need lets say 14.4VDC @ 20AMPS per battery to be able to recharge that battery from a 50% charge state to a 90% charge state or more in a three to four hour time frame..

I think I am hearing that the PANELS are usually rated at 5-7AMPS of usable DC current available which is a big killer of getting the batteries back to a 90$ charge state but by running higher DC voltages from the panels will produce alot more current than the rated 5-7AMPS and possibly end up with 14.4VDC charging DC Voltages at a higher DC Current rate.

i.e. the controller will run at max with much the higher DC Voltages coming from the panel and produce higher DC current then using BUCK BOOST couple this back to the 14.4VDC at a higher DC current. I know I am not explaining this right but is something like this going on with the controller you are testing.

My recent planning is looking at two 100WATT or 120WATT portable panels coupled with a permanent 120WATT panel mounted on my POPUP roof. The normal rated DC output of the these panels specs using the standard type controllers will not produce a usable 14.4VDC at a high enough DC CURRENT to re-charge my batteries in the short 4-5 hours of the panels being in high sunlight in ONE DAY...

Think I am hearing something different now from these tests being performed.

Roy ken
Besides the advantage of the MPPT control, a user will get usable current from the modules on the shoulders of that 4-5 hours a day. My 235w module is still trickling at sundown.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just boil it out.

PWM, amps, watts to battery.
MPPT, amps, watts to battery.