cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire speed

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never saw this question asked, say your truck has 275/70/18 tires your trailer has 225/75/15 speed rated 65, if youโ€™re truck is doing 65 how fast are your trailer tires going what I am getting on a tire speed conversion chart the trailer tires are going 76 mph

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
44 REPLIES 44

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I carry a set of bearings. I swear that is why they don't fail.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
4x4van wrote:
mat60 wrote:
I really don't want to pee anyone off but I have had many trailers in my life such as Dump, Cargo, Landscaping, Car and Snowmobile and any that had small tires and bearings would run hotter and you had better pack them with grease often or you will be on the side of the road. Seen it many times.
Agreed. For many years, I hauled my ATCs on a small trailer with 8" wheels/tires. At 65mph, those little tires were really spinning! +/- 3x faster (RPM) than the tires on my MH. As a result, even though I regularly maintained them, I also blew the bearings out several times over the years that I used the combo. To the point where I actually carried a spare set of bearings/races with me on every trip so that I could do the repair on the road if needed. How many of you carry a spare set of bearings/races for your trailer with full-size tires (14" or 15")?

Yup, above is experience talking! I've towed trailers of all sizes, most of my life, motorcycle, snowmobile, cargo, utility, and RVs. Learned to service them myself, when just a kid that needed to tow race bikes on weekends. BTW, it was a learning experience, backing a 5'x 6' small cycle trailer, with short tongue, using my car.

I'm still towing a small trailer with motorcycles, behind my big trailer.:C

Jerry

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
mat60 wrote:
I really don't want to pee anyone off but I have had many trailers in my life such as Dump, Cargo, Landscaping, Car and Snowmobile and any that had small tires and bearings would run hotter and you had better pack them with grease often or you will be on the side of the road. Seen it many times.
Agreed. For many years, I hauled my ATCs on a small trailer with 8" wheels/tires. At 65mph, those little tires were really spinning! +/- 3x faster (RPM) than the tires on my MH. As a result, even though I regularly maintained them, I also blew the bearings out several times over the years that I used the combo. To the point where I actually carried a spare set of bearings/races with me on every trip so that I could do the repair on the road if needed. How many of you carry a spare set of bearings/races for your trailer with full-size tires (14" or 15")?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
SaltiDawg wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Why would they run hotter? Weight is lower. Lubricant limits are the same. They are designed and built for the purpose.

Although I generally agree 12 months 12k miles seems a bit excessive.

I think you've made clear that this is your opinion. MFL also makes a good case for a differing opinion.

LOL, all forum members are entitled to opinions, but in the end, it is experience that matters. Some will go on forever, look at their post count, because they've nothing better to do. If anyone learned anything from my actual experience, that's fine, if not, that's okay too!

Jerry

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I would like to see a service manual for one of those trailers sporting 8" to 12" tires that go out on the highway.

Actually, it would be (more) meaningful to have the same manual that you cited address the subject.

I'll leave this now... hoped to learn.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would like to see a service manual for one of those trailers sporting 8" to 12" tires that go out on the highway.

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Why would they run hotter? Weight is lower. Lubricant limits are the same. They are designed and built for the purpose.

I think you've made clear that this is your opinion. MFL also makes a good case for a differing opinion.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
SaltiDawg wrote:
"What are bearing service intervals determined by? Time?"

So, no one knows?
Dexter service intervals pg 84

Manufacturers will tell you every year/12K miles, as a CYA time/mileage. After checking/packing your own bearings, you can determine from experience, what works best for you. Once your RV bearings are packed/reinstalled properly, they can go a long while. Brakes need to be adjusted more often, and when doing this, is a good time to check for proper bearing play. It is the small bearings, in small trailers, that turn much faster, run warmer, that need to be checked/packed more often.

Jerry

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
SaltiDawg wrote:

So, no one knows?

Suggests MFL may be on to something as the service Interval is either a Time interval or a distance driven.

Actually, makes sense.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
SaltiDawg wrote:

So, no one knows?

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer

So, no one knows?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
No manufacturer has different service intervals for the wheel bearings based on the tire diameter.